Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-02-12 04:11:29

Slighooker

[Solved] Hide Objects in Thunar "Open with Other Application"

I created a script that will place Firefox's Bookmarks in a panel menu. The script creates the .desktop files needed for the menu. This placed all of my bookmarks also in "Other" submenu, I fixed that by excluding "X-Bookmarks" (the category I created for the bookmarks) from Xfce's menu. This all works well, except I just learned that now all my bookmarks are also in Thunar's "Open with Other Application" dialog window.

For example, if I right click on a .ogg file I can choose "Movie Player" but instead I want to open in a different app, I can right click on the .ogg file and then click on "Open with Other Application" to open a dialog window to choose a different app.

How do I exclude my X-Bookamarks .desktop files from showing up in this dialog window?

Last edited by Slighooker (2012-02-12 17:23:14)

#2 2012-02-12 12:47:35

secipolla

Re: [Solved] Hide Objects in Thunar "Open with Other Application"

How about if you add
NoDisplay=true
to your bookmarks' desktop files (they should be in ~/.local/share/applications)?
- edit: I guess that will serve only to hide them from the menu. To make them not show up where you said you might try to remove the 'MimeType' keys from the desktop files.

Last edited by secipolla (2012-02-12 12:49:10)

#3 2012-02-12 17:22:45

Slighooker

Re: [Solved] Hide Objects in Thunar "Open with Other Application"

NoDisplay=true would prevent my bookmarks from showing up in the menu, kind of defeat the purpose of making the menu. smile

I am not sure what you mean by changing the MimeType. I couldn't find info on that for the .desktop files. I don't know, but I think that wouldn't matter anyway, since the "Other Application" is for apps that aren't registered for that particular mime type.

Anyway, after thinking about your response, I found a solution. In my .desktop files, I had "Type=Application". I changed this to "Type=Link". I first had problems with this, I can't remember what they were, so I changed it to application. Now it works, I still have my bookmarks menu in the panel and they no longer show up in the dialog window.

Thanks.

Link to a screenshot of the bookmarks menu

Last edited by Slighooker (2012-02-12 17:32:35)

Board footer