Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-04 11:14:59

Wroger Wroger

The POP UP messages - "You are now disconnected from the internet"

Yes I know I am disconnected from the internet because:

a) I can see that I am disconnected by my modem's coloured lights;

b) I can see that I am disconnected by the "internet icon" in the menu bar showing that I am disconnected; and

c) I can see that I am disconnected by the lack of internet traffic and my browser not loading pages etc., and

d) The messages also tend to popup on a semi random basis as well - like AFTER I have reconnected and logged in - "You are disconnected"

e) I also KNOW I am not connected to the internet - because I just disconnected it...... then I get the message popping up telling me that.

It's not that it's actually bad, it's just an annoyance that no one has built an effective on/off switch into and it's a pain in the arse to be clicking onto and clicking it off  multiple times a day.

How can I kill off these "pop up" messages?

What is the process for it?

I am using the Xubuntu version of it all.

Thanks in advance.

WW

Last edited by Wroger Wroger (2012-06-05 13:33:51)

#2 2012-04-04 15:11:10

secipolla

Re: The POP UP messages - "You are now disconnected from the internet"

Try right-clicking the "Internet icon" (Network Manager's applet probably) and untick "Enable Notifications".

#3 2012-04-05 01:39:56

Wroger Wroger

Naaa doesn't work - no such "switch" in or even several steps removed from the actual icon / process.

One of my absolute pet hates is people designing stuff - that may actually be really useful or totally not at all useful - with NO "off switch".

The second major pet hates - is IF there is an offswitch, that it is a number of steps removed from the actual interface / function.

That is OK for a flat tyre on a car - where you have to stop, get out, pull out the jack and the spare tyre from the boot - but not for a computer users interface - especially for functions that tell you the obvious - when the taskbar is dsiplaying the fact that you are disconnected.

Having said this, the "You are disconnected from the internet" popup, is like having a popup on a clock face... "The time is now 11 am" - "Well yeah Oh Duhhhh - that is what the clock has hands for!"

I wish that people who program these "great ideas" into things, would remember that - especially when it comes to features that serve no purpose and non one needs.

Under APPLICATIONS - SETTINGS - NOTIFICATIONS - there comes the control applet for these functions AND there is NO selection for the applets that you want or need to see or NOT and there is no OFF SWITCH for the notifications as an exterminatable species.

This is my quote: "There are only two ways to do great things - do it properly and or remove the things that irritate you".

The notifications are not a good idea and many people find them irritating - to have them appear mostly randomly and you have to click on them to get rid of them, OR set them to only appear for ONE SECOND, there is no need for them to appear, they serve no purpose and there is no off switch for them.

Sooooooooo the question remains - How do we take these "You are disconnected from the internet" notifications and drag them off the system and bludgeon them to death?

Last edited by Wroger Wroger (2012-04-05 01:41:56)

#4 2012-04-05 06:01:02

Nick
Dev
Website

Stop the notification daemon (xfnotifyd) and remove it from the system.

#5 2012-04-05 12:41:34

Wroger Wroger

Yeah - BUT - I have had a decent look around on the web, and the best I can sumurise the results as - it appears to me that KILLING off the daemon, also kills off all notifications, NOT just the "you are disconnected" pop up.

We NEED a solution to JUST THAT.

We need to kill the sparrow with leprosy, not burn the entire bird cage down.

This progam has a range of faults - it displays information what is already on display;

There is NO off switch to it;

There is no range of pop ups to select from to kill off;

A LOT of people find the idiot function annoying - and want to get rid of it.

Because this requires a sophistocated approach beyond merely killing ALL notifications off, without so much as even supplying the directions on how to do so,  we need to find the developer/s and ask them how to RECONFIGURE IT to include a LIST of notifications AND a kill switch for each of them individually.

Who knows who wrote the program? Because these are the people we need to talk too.

Last edited by Wroger Wroger (2012-04-05 12:42:39)

#6 2012-04-05 13:36:54

Nick
Dev
Website

Then you at least have to tell which application for network management you are using, because Xfce has no such app. My best guess is nm-applet is giving you these messages, but that could also be wicd.

#7 2012-04-05 13:54:19

secipolla

As Nick said, you may say which distribution and version plus which network manager you're using.
If you find out, then maybe a simple internet search for "disable notifications your_network_manager", with optionally the distribution name may suffice.

#8 2012-04-06 12:25:47

angstrom

I can confirm that with wicd, you have the option to enable/disable notification.
So I think you are using Network Manager with nm-applet.

Last edited by angstrom (2012-04-06 12:27:19)

Xfce is NOT Xubuntu. Bugs in Xubuntu don't mean that Xfce is buggy ...

Board footer