Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-05 15:09:15

secipolla

About "StartupNotify=true" in exo-file-manager.desktop

file-roller was recently updated in Fedora to not depend on Nautilus and use the desktop default file manager.
So it's using exo-file-manager.desktop in Xfce.
I tested it and the cursor is busy for about 20s after opening the file-manager from within file-roller.
Is this some issue with file-roller?
I can use "StartupNotify=false" and the busy cursor stops.
I was just thinking if exo-file-manager.desktop should keep "StartupNotify=true".

#2 2012-04-05 16:52:03

Nick
Dev
Website

Re: About "StartupNotify=true" in exo-file-manager.desktop

That is a bit strange, since more gtk apps handle this properly. But why would you want to use file-roller as your default file manager app in the first place?

#3 2012-04-05 17:38:33

secipolla

Re: About "StartupNotify=true" in exo-file-manager.desktop

I've been using it for quite some time, before it was GTK3. Other file-managers that I tried (except ark, but for this one I would first have to figure how to install it without bringing the whole KDE in Fedora) sometimes don't recognise some formats and file-roller has some handy, newbie friendly, features like viewing rpm, deb and iso files.
It depended on nautilus in Fedora but I opened a bug report and the maintainer fixed that.
I don't remember having this busy cursor issue when I was using Debian sid, but F17 is not even beta yet and has newer GNOME stuff. Also I installed file-roller only today (and did some tests).
I actually made a custom desktop file for exo-file-manager with startupnotify set to false. I just raised the question to have an idea why some apps behaved like that.
I may try some other tests like starting GNOME services to see if it makes any difference but I suppose the issues have all to do with GNOME.
Anyway, startupnotify is a feedback to show that the app is running so it seems it wouldn't make sense to disable it by default.

Board footer