Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-05-22 18:18:01

Mellowbob

2 things I miss in xfce

Recently installed Ubuntu 12.04 ... gawd, what are these people thinking? Oh well, that is another discussion.

But, I really do like XFCE (running 4.8 right now). Two things would make it perfect for me:

1. The ability to zoom the screen. I know that both KDE and compiz have this feature, and it helps my aging eyes from time to time. I've tried running xfce on top of compiz, but it just never seems to work right.

2. A simple (I think) request to have different desktop images on each workspace. Again, KDE (?) and compiz seem to manage this.

Certainly neither are deal breakers ... but would be nice! Someone, please, tell me I can already do it!

#2 2012-05-23 03:17:59

Sideburns
Website

Re: 2 things I miss in xfce

I had XFCE working Just Fine in Fedora 14 with compiz, on both my desktop and my laptop.  My desktop has nVidia graphics and I use the special kmod-nvidia for the driver; the laptop doesn't need special drivers.  Alas, when I "upgraded" to Fedora 16, compiz broke on both and I've never gotten it working again.  Still, it can be done.

Registered Linux user #470359
Permanently recovered BOFH
Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.

#3 2012-08-29 08:44:49

dajare

Mellowbob wrote:

2. A simple (I think) request to have different desktop images on each workspace. Again, KDE (?) and compiz seem to manage this.

There's a helpful thread on this in the Mint Xfce forum which involves using Wallpapoz.

(An old thread, I know, but maybe still of interest?)

#4 2012-08-29 12:46:49

SantaFe

What I miss in Xfce is the ability for Panels to be hidden behind open windows like you could do in Gnome 2.  Sure, you can have autohide turned on, but it's easier if you can tell the panel to always hide behind the open window so the top panel (for Example) will show on the desktop when a window Isn't covering it, but will be hidden if a window does cover it (except when you mouse over it). wink

Or is there a way to do this that I've missed? wink

bah weep grana weep ninny bon. big_smile

#5 2012-08-29 13:07:14

ToZ
Administrator

Have a look at this thread: http://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=6599

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#6 2012-08-29 14:47:35

SantaFe

ToZ wrote:

Neat!  Thanks. wink

bah weep grana weep ninny bon. big_smile

Board footer