Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-08-30 15:18:25

marcs

XFCE4: password request for local partition mounting - default policy?

Hello everyone!

Just a quick question: is it normal in XFCE4 that it doesn't want to mount local partitions [say - other OS, data, etc] from the desktop by double clicking an icon? For me it will always request a root password. If that is a normal thing [in a "design" sense"] then I'm perfectly OK with this. I do know about polkit, hal and such, but I'm interrested in the defaults.

Currently I use Debian, but I've seen that kind of behavior on Arch, Slackware, etc. Of course I do know that some highly "user-end' distros prefer to provide  user with comfort of easy mounting in favor of security. That's not what I want to know. I'm interrested in absolute basic XFCE4 approach: does it allow, or disallow local partition mounting by regular users by default?

Thanks for any help!

PS I think XFCE4 is absolutely great and uber-fantastic. I use it for many years now, but still ... I used to hack around the things without really asking myself about the basic, default policy.

Best regards!

- marc

#2 2012-09-02 17:30:41

marcs

Re: XFCE4: password request for local partition mounting - default policy?

Anybody ... ?

#3 2012-09-02 18:58:31

angstrom

Try to ask on xfce mailing list.

Xfce is NOT Xubuntu. Bugs in Xubuntu don't mean that Xfce is buggy ...

#4 2012-09-04 01:38:35

Sideburns
Website

Yes, of course it's normal for Linux to require the root password to mount or unmount partitions.  Why should Xfce be any different?  If you want users to mount them without needing the root password, add the keyword users to the mount options in /etc/fstab.

Registered Linux user #470359
Permanently recovered BOFH
Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Board footer