Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-27 15:29:54

timjwatts

Weird auto-resize max width when touching top of desktop with a window

Hi,

xfce/xfwm v4.10.0 series Linux Mint build:

I get a very weird effect - if dragging a window to the top of the desktop, the window will snap-resize to the full width of the screen (or Xinerama sub screen if multi monitor). Dragging the window back off the top desktop edge will let it return to normal size.

I find this a truely horrible experience - but having been through the settings, including the advanced settings, and never having seen it before on any window manager recently, I'm not sure how to disable it.

Google is not my friend today, either sad

Any ideas?

Ta muchly!

Timbo

Last edited by timjwatts (2012-09-27 15:30:04)

#2 2012-09-27 15:36:22

angstrom

Re: Weird auto-resize max width when touching top of desktop with a window

It's a new feature introduced in xfce 4.10 : tiling windows on border.
You can disable this by : Settings Manager (xfce4-settings-manager) > Window Manager Tweaks > Accessibility > Automatically tile windows when moving toward the screen edge

Xfce is NOT Xubuntu. Bugs in Xubuntu don't mean that Xfce is buggy ...

#3 2012-09-27 15:50:26

timjwatts

Blimey - that was quick!

Sir - thank you... I was in the Accessibility panel earlier - but did not notice that option (probably because I was not expecting to find it there). To be fair, the description is accurate!

Anyway, problem solved - back to sanity, confirming that xfce4 is still the Window Manager with the sanest balance of features/non complexity for me smile

Cheers!

Tim

#4 2012-11-05 02:20:02

chown

This is awesome I have been rooting around in gconf-editor. I installed compiz just to see if I could get this behavior to stop. I finally found this post and you saved my sanity. Thank you for that.

I personally think that should be turned off by default and the people that want it should google how to turn it on. That is my opinion. Thanks for the post it was most helpful. Also since I am a XFCE fan other than this issue. I plan on taking my shoes off and staying a while.

Thanks again,

#5 2013-11-24 13:16:29

OLCO

Ah! I finally found how to disable this horrible behavior! Thank you!
This should be disabled by default...

#6 2013-11-25 17:37:27

MountainDewManiac

OLCO wrote:

+1(!)

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#7 2016-01-31 22:53:33

adamant

Me too. I dislike this behaviour so much. I thought I had checked all the tweaks but obviously not closely enough.

Much appreciated.

#8 2017-04-12 09:00:50

all-black-background

ditto, awful feature

#9 2017-06-18 21:24:06

Mister X

This should be the default setting.
Thank You!
This has been bugging me for a long time, couldn't find a solution until now, much appreciated.

#10 2020-09-15 16:43:06

swdavison

I'm another who hunted through the menus and dialogs looking for a way to turn off the auto-maximize feature.  Hooray for Google for directing me here!

Apparently the decision has been made to leave the default set to auto-maximize. 

But how about changing the feature description in "Window Manager Tweaks?"  I don't think that the feature does what the description says -- it does not "Automatically tile windows."  If it did that, then all the windows on my screen would be resized so that none of them overlay any of the others.  That's what "tiling" means to me.  It would actually be a pretty cool feature.  But what actually happens is that the window being moved overlays and completely hides all the rest.  It's amazing how disconcerting that is when you're working on something and focused on the work content rather than window management -- akin to knocking over your coffee cup as you reach for the mouse.  (A preventive measure for that, by the way, should be the next enhancement to Xfce.)

If the feature were described as "Automatically maximize windows..." then it would be easier for users to find in the dialog.

#11 2022-10-02 17:26:46

asgalon

Every couple of years when I have to install an XFCE for someone this behaviour annoys me again. Today I already knew it had to be somewhere in Accessibility, but I still had to waste time on this, since I did not find the RIGHT accessibility settings menu. And each time I have to do a web search for this, what really buggers me is that I don't know what exactly I have to search for to get to the point. I know of at least one fellow without too much computer experience who did not know how to help himself to get rid of this annoying behaviour other than reinstalling the whole system with a different linux distribution. I would say, if I had to give a lifetime achievement award for most annoying linux configuration issue, this would be on the second place, right behind the undisputed all-time winner, pulseaudio.

Last edited by asgalon (2022-10-02 17:27:54)

#12 2023-06-23 18:21:06

mandd

angstrom wrote:

It's a new feature introduced in xfce 4.10 : tiling windows on border.
You can disable this by : Settings Manager (xfce4-settings-manager) > Window Manager Tweaks > Accessibility > Automatically tile windows when moving toward the screen edge

Thank you!!!

This created quite and annoyance for me in a big way. Also it's not so trivial to figure out the origin of this problem, as not all apps behave this way.

Okaaay, so maybe this feature needs to be unintroduced?

At least it should be unchecked by default?

Would be interesting to see who introduced it, how it helped them, and for what reason it was decided to make this default.

How does one go about requesting a change for default configurations settings XFCE uses?

Last edited by mandd (2023-06-23 18:21:42)

#13 2023-06-23 18:26:28

mandd

MountainDewManiac wrote:
OLCO wrote:

+1(!)

Regards,
MDM

+1(!)

#14 2023-06-23 18:36:29

mandd

#15 2023-06-26 21:15:52

mauser

chown wrote:

This is awesome I have been rooting around in gconf-editor. I installed compiz just to see if I could get this behavior to stop. I finally found this post and you saved my sanity. Thank you for that.

I personally think that should be turned off by default and the people that want it should google how to turn it on. That is my opinion. Thanks for the post it was most helpful. Also since I am a XFCE fan other than this issue. I plan on taking my shoes off and staying a while.

Thanks again,

That is one of the first things I turn off. I concur that it should be set to off by default.

I am command line illiterate. I use MX-21.3 Linux.

#16 2023-08-05 09:43:45

Maurizio-F

Please don't remove this feature. I find it very handy when I need to align two windows, one on each side of the screen.

Board footer