Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-07 20:40:53

lintek

[Solved] Unable to edit main menu

I'm using xfce4, and when I do the following to edit the main menu:

Right click menu button -> select properties -> under menu file click "edit menu"

Nothing happens but receive erros in my ~/.xsession-errors file

File "/bin/alacarte", line 36, in <module>
    main()
  File "/bin/alacarte", line 33, in main
    app.run()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Alacarte/MainWindow.py", line 64, in run
    self.loadMenus()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Alacarte/MainWindow.py", line 203, in loadMenus
    self.on_menu_tree_cursor_changed(menu_tree)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Alacarte/MainWindow.py", line 354, in on_menu_tree_cursor_changed
    self.loadItems(self.menu_store[menu_path][2], menu_path)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Alacarte/MainWindow.py", line 217, in loadItems
    for item, show in self.editor.getItems(menu):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Alacarte/MenuEditor.py", line 145, in getItems
    item = item_iter.get_separator()
AttributeError: 'TreeIter' object has no attribute 'get_separator'

The reason I want to edit the main menu is to hide the "Other" sub-menu.
Is there a reported bug in editing the xfce4 main menu?

#2 2013-02-07 22:04:33

Rayonant

Re: [Solved] Unable to edit main menu

Do you have Alacarte installed? ,If not there are other programs you can use to edit Xfce menu: LXmenu or MenuLibre

#3 2013-02-08 00:56:56

lintek

Yes, alacarte is installed and it works when I switch back to my Gnome3 or Cinnamon desktop sessions. I'll give the other two a try. But do the install and work on Fedora 17?

#4 2013-02-08 23:48:29

lintek

Ok. Downloaded and installed lxmed to edit main menu. But here's is the problem. There is a sub-menu called "Other" which I don't want to be visible. But lxmed doesn't see or present this sub-menu in the editor. The existence of the "Other" sub-menu is really strange because its content is the list of screen savers from Xscreensaver plus a few other things. Where could this be coming from?

#5 2013-02-11 23:39:23

lintek

I got want I needed now. After fully reading the wiki page (http://wiki.xfce.org/howto/customize-menu), I was able to rid my "Other" sub-menu of the xscreensaver *.desktop files. Now things look much better now.

Board footer