Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-06 16:37:55

holden87

Why Xfce?

My question to you is: why do you prefer Xfce?

I like it because it looks good, fast on my 4gigRAM machine and dual core intel, and because it's very simple even for newbies to use!

Your experience?

#2 2013-03-06 17:06:20

Darktux

Re: Why Xfce?

A few ideas with no particular order:
- Fast
- Lightweight in system resources
- Customizable
- Traditional desktop paradigm

#3 2013-03-10 19:52:21

albinard

Really fast, works with variety of OSs, accommodates Compiz (I'm a Sphere fan!).  Seems to me the best way to get the best features of Ubuntu without the bad (i.e. using Xubuntu).  Also accessible to relative newbies like me!

#4 2013-03-15 22:08:33

the_file

holden87 wrote:

I like it because it looks good, fast on my 4gigRAM machine and dual core intel, and because it's very simple even for newbies to use!

Your experience?

Its very feature rich, and those features are actually very usefull, and its very modular which also adds to its performance.

#5 2013-03-16 09:34:58

Korrode
Website

Fast, stable and good graphical configuration tools, combined with extensive panel setup options.
For me the panel configurability is very important.

Rob McCathie - Manjaro Linux Team
http://manjaro.github.io/download/

#6 2013-03-24 13:26:37

MountainDewManiac

holden87 wrote:

Because:

The newest computer that I own is, I believe, at least eight years old.
I found, after learning that GNOME 2.x had been dropped, was - IMO - closer to my GNOME 2.x experience than GNOME 3, MATE, or any other DE I have tried (and, as far as that goes, turned out to be an even better DE - again, for me - than GNOME 2.x was), that it not only had the benefit of doing what I want a DE to do whilst "staying out of my way," otherwise, but as it was neither "the new GNOME" nor a fork that tried to be "the old GNOME," I neither felt that it was as big a mistake as "the new Coca~Cola" nor did I have to worry about feeling that it was the old one until I expected something to look/act/perform/et cetera like the old one... and realized that, no, it really wasn't. IOW, Xfce is its own DE, not a clone, fork, or poor - as in almost, but not quite, lol - imitation of another DE. And that's okay, because as it's own DE... It's a very nice one smile .
It uses less memory and CPU than other DEs I have tried that were even close to what I was looking for, and not significantly more than the ones that weren't.
I haven't seen any reports of "politicking" where Xfce or its team are concerned.
The one time that I went looking for a solution to two issues I had (desktop background auto-changer not working reliably and my top bar getting stuck "unhid" often), I found that there were already updates to fix those issues and that I only needed to add a PPA to my sources list instead of compiling - and that performing those updates did not break a single thing on my system.
(Less of a factor - but still a factor:) I like the xfce4-weather-plugin a lot, in many ways much more than the one in the previous DEs I used (although I do miss the ability to have an image in it and being able to customize that image so that it was an animated radar image of my region).
Because I have not managed to break it simply by using it and changing a few settings here and there <KNOCKS ON WOOD>.
Because, even though it is great on my old low-CPU-power/low-RAM/low-graphics computers, it is also great on my friend's new 6gig Core i5 3210M laptop, which means that when he calls me with a question/problem (it's his very first computer), I have the benefit of having basically the same setup to be able refer to when trying to figure out what he is talking about wink .

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

Board footer