Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-07 23:11:24

begre1929

[Solved] folders created at the first start of xfce

Hi,
I just notice when I create a new fresh user and when I started xfce for the first time with it, I got the folder "Desktop". How can I specify to it to use my langage ? and there is a way to make some other folders ? (like horror-movie folder, black-metal-music folder, girls-pictures folder and so on...) and to set an icon to each folder ?

the creation of folders sems to be done via xdg in a file call user-dirs.conf, but I don't have user-dirs.conf in /etc/xdg, but desktop was well created.

I would like the new fresh user created got the same appearance than another one automaticaly, I don't know if I should copy some files to /etc/xdg or to /etc/skel

My linux looks like *buntu, but it's arch !

WARNING  this guy is an "evil" black metal listener... he does his own booze and love to cooke cake... don't let your girl too close, he loves girls... the worst, his english his awful!!

#2 2013-04-08 04:36:47

darius

Re: [Solved] folders created at the first start of xfce

change the details

user = current user name
newuser = new user name # the new account your created

sudo cp /home/user/.bashrc /home/newuser
sudo cp -R /home/user/.config /home/newuser
sudo cp -R /home/user/.fontconfig /home/newuser
sudo cp -R /home/user/.gconfd /home/newuser
sudo cp -R /home/user/.local /home/newuser
sudo cp -R /home/user/.mozilla /home/newuser
sudo cp -R /home/user/.midori /home/newuser
sudo cp /home/user/.profile /home/newuser

now all you need to do is change ownership of firefox & midori so you can use the new profile with the new user

sudo chown -R newuser:newuser /home/newuser/.mozilla
sudo chown -R newuser:newuser /home/newuser/.midori

logout and back in again and all should be good you may have to reboot

Last edited by darius (2013-04-08 04:41:35)

#3 2013-04-08 04:41:37

begre1929

thx, but I don't want to do such thing, I want to set default settings for any new user, for example I know if I copy .bashrc in /etc/skel, any new user will have the same.

just before I post, I took a look on the xubuntu livecd, I copied etc/skel/* /etc/xdg/* and all icons/themes to my computer (after a backup) but when I create a new user I still got the same things...

Last edited by begre1929 (2013-04-08 04:44:48)

WARNING  this guy is an "evil" black metal listener... he does his own booze and love to cooke cake... don't let your girl too close, he loves girls... the worst, his english his awful!!

#4 2013-04-08 04:49:34

darius

quote [ I want to set default settings for any new user ]

when you say default  ?? if you have a standard setup that you want just copy the files into a folder somewhere and keep them
then use a script and run it and the new user will have the setup you wanted with the files copied over

the script will be one mouse click and enter a name or you can set it to automate
so it will check what user in the home folder has the config files and any user that does NOT then copy the files over !!

either way you need to create a script to copy over .. they wont copy by default when you created a new user by dropping or copy files from /etc/skel .. you will have to set it up or put it in /etc/profile which will do the same thing but its has to be a script in some from to do what you are looking for

I created a script a while ago with zenity | a gui that prompted you for the user name and it copyied all the confgs to the new user
Ill have a look and see if I can dig it out its on a file server somewhere I think its in mediafire im not sure

Last edited by darius (2013-04-08 04:58:11)

#5 2013-04-08 20:13:30

begre1929

well darius, all ways go to Rome, but yours isn't the path i'm looking for...

I found my way... I've installed

xdg-user-dirs

then I got all folders I want, with their own icons and in the user selected language.

capturedcran-08042013-161304.php

this babe looks more and more gorgeous...

(i'm still messing hard with the icons...)

Board footer