Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-12 19:50:07

murphycc

Remove icons from Indicator Plugin?

I'm using XFCE 4.10.

Anyone know if icons can be removed from the Indicator Plugin, which itself is on the panel?

The Indicator Plugin is the one that contains things like battery life, volume, network connection, TBird mail or Pidgin, etc.

There is no place to adjust preferences for this plugin. My goal is to remove the mail icon (for TBird and Pidgin) because I added Mail Watcher instead. Now it looks weird seeing two mail icons -- one native to Indicator Plugin and one for Mail Watcher. If I remove Indicator Plugin, it removes all icons -- which is not what I was looking for.

I tried removing some indicator-messaging... program via Synaptic, but that had no effect on this.

I would paste an image of this if it were easy to do in this forum...

Thanks,
Chris

#2 2013-04-13 15:23:26

stqn

Re: Remove icons from Indicator Plugin?

There should be an option in each program to disable their systray icon… (in a perfect world.) Pidgin does have the option. I don’t use ThunderBird so I don’t know about that one.

Edit: oh wait, “indicator plugin” you say… Not the same as “notification area”, eh? My Xubuntu 12.04 install only has a notification area in the panel, and no indicator plugin. I may have removed the latter to install the former instead.

Last edited by stqn (2013-04-13 15:26:20)

#3 2013-04-22 14:52:49

murphycc

Seeing as how it appears impossible to remove the mail icon but leave the Indicator Plugin enabled, I disabled the Indicator Plugin for now. With that removed I still have the network and battery indicators, but I'm missing the volume indicator now. Not the best, but it's OK. At least now I just have the single "Mail Watcher" icon instead of a second mail icon that Indicator Plugin had.

#4 2013-08-01 12:25:51

fixitmanarizona

I simply detest that "indicator plugin" and the sound volume problem.
HOWEVER a GREAT solution I found is to install Volti, a "tray audio volume icon" which is "old school" just the way I like it. Default is a vertical slider. smile
It's GTK+ and Google code, and some people have problems with it according to their bugs page, however if configured correctly AND ADDED manually to the tray from menu, it works fine for me. You might also want to add it as a startup item.
Check out the features:
https://code.google.com/p/volti/

#5 2013-08-01 15:29:17

stqn

There is also xfce4-mixer.

#6 2013-08-01 19:21:40

PaperNick

I think Xfce team should consider making Indicator plugin more configurable. I've experienced the same problem, trying to remove the unnecessary icons. I've partly solved this by removing the Indicator plugin as some guys above mentioned. I also installed xfce4-mixer as stqn says and everything seems to be ok now, because Notification area restores the missing icons from Indicator...

By the way, thanks for sharing the app Volti. I'll give it a try smile

#7 2013-08-01 23:11:32

ToZ
Administrator

This is interesting.

According to the xfce4-indicator-plugin source code (http://git.xfce.org/panel-plugins/xfce4 … ndicator.c and this commit (http://git.xfce.org/panel-plugins/xfce4 … 0924a02c50, blacklisting of indicator plugins seems to exist. In fact, on my Xubuntu system:

$ cat .config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-panel.xml | grep -A6 blacklist
      <property name="blacklist" type="array">
        <value type="string" value="libappmenu.so"/>
        <value type="string" value="libdatetime.so"/>
        <value type="string" value="libme.so"/>
        <value type="string" value="libsession.so"/>
      </property>
    </property>

...some modules already seem to be blacklisted. I was unable to edit this property in settings editor (doesn't appear to allow editing of array values) so I logged out, made a backup of the file, added to that section:

<value type="string" value="libsoundmenu.so"/>

...saved the file and logged back in and viola, the sound indicator was no longer displayed.

I don't have a messaging indicator so I wasn't able to test removing it.

I tried this on a secondary account on the system and was unable to replicate this - but this other account didn't have the blacklist property so perhaps I need to find a way to properly add one.

Now to try this on the arch install.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer