Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-22 06:29:10

fredbird67

[SOLVED] Notification area weirdness

OK, I've got some weird, WEIRD stuff going on here with the notification area, which has never worked correctly.

I'm working on my own Ubuntu-based Linux distribution (based on 12.04, the most recent LTS release), and I started with the Ubuntu Mini Remix and built up from there.  I've got it mostly working properly, but the notification area is being a major pain.  Here's what all's going on there:

1. The GNOME Network Manager icon has NEVER showed up in the notification area AT ALL.
2. The Bluetooth icon shows up ONLY after changing icon themes, but has never been present at login.
3. I can get the Xfce Task Manager and the Xfce Power Manager applets to show up in there perfectly.

While I can access our wired network just fine and don't need the network applet for myself, keep in mind that I'm trying to build a distro here -- and for that icon to be completely absent with one wants to connect wirelessly (and thus actually needs to right-click on the network icon) is something I'm not about to just blow off and let slide.

I've been looking high and low for answers to this one for the last several days and can't find a satisfactory answer, so I thought I'd try taking this one to the source -- to Xfce itself.  Any ideas?

Thanx in advance,
Fred in St. Louis

Last edited by fredbird67 (2013-06-22 17:18:23)

Have you heard that Microsoft bought Hoover vacuum?  This means that Microsoft finally has a product that doesn't suck!

#2 2013-06-22 17:18:06

fredbird67

Re: [SOLVED] Notification area weirdness

Never mind -- I just did two simple fixes.  I finally gave up on the GNOME Network Manager and decided to try replacing it with WICD.  I logged out, logged back in...and there was WICD's wired network icon! :-)  As for the Bluetooth, I feel like an idiot for not thinking of this one sooner.  I turned the system off and plugged a Bluetooth device into one of the USB ports, booted, logged in...and there was my Bluetooth icon! :-D

Have you heard that Microsoft bought Hoover vacuum?  This means that Microsoft finally has a product that doesn't suck!

Board footer