Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-09 01:45:56

andrea825

Hi, I need to move one of my computer to the other and I need to ask

Hi, Is there a way to backup xubuntu to a installer dvd's, so that way I can install all my files and everything insted of reinstalling everything I have. I need to move it to another computer. please help thanks.

andrea

#2 2014-01-10 02:48:41

ozjd
Website

Re: Hi, I need to move one of my computer to the other and I need to ask

It is possible, you can make an image of the installed system and restore it to the other computer. Others who are familiar with Xubuntu can recommend a suitable application. You may have some issues though with things like drivers. If you have installed any proprietary drivers for hardware such as graphics cards and you don't have similar cards in the other computer you should remove the drivers first. There may be other similar issues too.
If you don't have too much data it may be easier to back up your home directory, do a clean installation on the new pc and then restore your back up. If possible hold on to the old computer until you are sure everything is fine on the new one.

#3 2014-01-12 06:28:59

daggoth

You could do an image backup with a tool like Clonezilla.

But with Linux, an image backup is not strictly necessary, coz when you reinstall, the files do not need to be placed identically on the disk as an image backup does. Most times, your linux can be backed up as a tarball archive, and then reinstalled to a different PC. Like with this guy.

But whether you use the image or tarball method of backup, your distro likely won't boot immediately on your new PC. With two of the main catches being that 1] you will need to modify the fstab file in the new linux to ensure it can find the correct partitions, and 2] that you will probably need to use chroot to reinstall the new linux's grub bootloader.

Elsewise, your new linux simply may not boot at all.

Last edited by daggoth (2014-01-12 08:31:22)

#4 2014-01-12 19:12:31

demosthenese

You could backup your home directory (don't forget all the hidden .files) using whatever backup method you prefer. Then use APTonCD to make a repository of all your installed software, and use APTonCD to transfer all the applications. Then restore your home folder.

Caveat - not used this myself.

Board footer