Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-24 14:30:02

rexineffect

How to color my terminal with solarized theme

Im looking for a colorful bash where my prompt is all colored and all the outputs like ls command and all have color while using the solarized theme.

is this possible? has anyone done it? if so, how.

Thank u

#2 2014-02-24 14:38:58

ToZ
Administrator

Re: How to color my terminal with solarized theme

Not sure what the "solarized theme" is, but the Arch wiki has a really good Color Bash Prompt entry that can get you started. (Even though its an Arch wiki page, the information there is portable to other distros).

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2014-02-24 22:54:26

daggoth

rexineffect wrote:

Im looking for a colorful bash where my prompt is all colored and all the outputs like ls command and all have color while using the solarized theme.

That is two questions, namely 1) howto change the bash prompt, and 2) howto change the terminal's color palette to Solarized.

The method of setting terminal colors depends on which terminal you use. Most terminals like urxvt set their color through the ~/.Xresources or ~/.Xdefaults config files - see here.

With xfce4-terminal, it looks like colors are set from the menu; Edit->Preferences-> Colors_Tab. You can click the buttons under "Palette" to change the individual colors, perhaps using Solarized color-codes obtained from this page.

#4 2014-02-25 03:36:00

rexineffect

Sorry I guess i wasn't specific enough. I have xfce4-terminal. in edit>preferences>colors_tab i can choose the theme, solarized, but then all of my colors do not show up. i have used the arch wiki already like u said for colored bash prompt. it only works with like a black on white config, not the theme solarized for my console. so i want to know how to make the colors still show up with my console being in theme solarized. thanks

#5 2014-02-25 04:36:27

daggoth

Looking at the colors of Solarized (top) and Tango (bottom), it looks like many of the Solarized colors have been set to grey. If your $PS1 prompt is using any of those greys, then you might choose a different color instead.
P7ylcjr.jpg

Board footer