Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-04-05 15:16:07

dollyp

Thunar - Safely "ejecting" hard drives

I use a large usb hard drive to keep backups and other stuff. The partitions on this drive automatically mount when I plug the usb in. This seems to be the default and is the logical thing. However when I come to unplug the drive I go to Thunar, right click on 'eject', Thunar then unmounts the partitions and then automatically remounts them before I have time to unplug the drive.

Is there a way to have automount when I plug the drive in but for partitions to be unmounted AND STAY UNMOUNTED when I want to unplug.

To save having to run Thunar in order to unplug the drive, is there a way to have some sort of button on the panel sort of like Windows' "Safely remove" icon?

David

Linux Mint 17 Xfce
Lenovo IdeaPad U410

#2 2014-04-06 02:19:29

ozjd
Website

Re: Thunar - Safely "ejecting" hard drives

You don't say what distro you are using but this could be a system thing as I've similar behaviour on other desktops too.

If you have an icon on the desktop for the partition you can unmount it there by right clicking.

#3 2014-04-06 05:24:27

vasa1

Also please mention the version of Thunar. I see "Unmount" but no "Eject" in Thunar 1.6.3.

#4 2014-04-06 12:20:47

PaperNick

I use palimpsest (Disk Utility) to unmount my USB's safely.
Click to view the screenshot

I remember proposing the safely remove feature to be implemented in Thunar last year, but the devs obviously didn't put it in their TODO list... Hopefully we will see this feature in future releases...

#5 2014-04-06 12:38:58

Jerry3904

What about the plugin "Mount Devices" (RC Panel > Panel > Add New Items), would that do what you want?

MX-14 (based on Debian Stable) with backported Xfce 4.10 on Acer Aspire One 722

#6 2014-04-06 14:44:49

dollyp

ozjd - I'm using Mint 16 Xfce (sorry I should have said this and have now put it in my profile). Yes I can unmount each partition in turn from the desktop but it's a lot of steps when a single button could do the trick (and I'm rather forgetful anyway).

vasa1 - Thunar 1.6.3, same as you. When I right-click on a partition located on a usb drive in Thunar I get 'eject' just below 'unmount'.

PaperNick - Interesting suggestion. It turns out that I already have this program, namely gnome-disk-utility and called 'Disks' in Mint. Mint have presumably cleaned up/simplified the interface whilst also hiding the functionality.

Jerry3904 - I don't have this plugin in the Mint version of Xfce. I've found it on Xfce's website and will download and check it out.
http://goodies.xfce.org/projects/panel- … unt-plugin

Many thanks for your replies.

David

EDIT: For Mint the xfce goodies package is in the repositories but not installed by default

Last edited by dollyp (2014-04-06 16:50:23)

Linux Mint 17 Xfce
Lenovo IdeaPad U410

Board footer