Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-05-09 06:46:21

puppycutletts
Banned

I now have invisible menus......

OK getting totally sick and tired of the "black screen pop ups" with messages in them - while sometimes actually useful the LACK of a ON / OFF setting, and the fact that they are there, annoys me worsera.

Anyway in another attempt to get rid of someone elses idea of what is good for me, I went:

XFCE version 4.8

Settings:

Settings Manager:

Window Manager Tweaks:

Compositor:

Opacity of Pop Up Windows - set to 0 (zero) to make them totally transparent.

So I think that was all that I did change.

The trouble is that this setting makes ALL the menu items INVISIBLE.....

This means after clicking on the "Application Menu" icon - NOTHING appears underneath that - and nothing that is guess-worked as to the settings manager it's self - is visible either.

So I can't get into the settings manager, to undo the changes, and I can't open up (as far as I know) a command line, and if I could - I am not sure where to navigate, to change the opacity settings back to 100% (non invisible).

This opacity issue - is a real desk top killer - it needs a 3 minute trial time, to allow one to use the computer some, before accepting or not, the changes that have been made. 

Any ideas on the subject - of how to change the opacity settings, without a menu system or a command line - or if I can pull that up - where to navigate and what settings to change?

Thanks in advance.

#2 2014-05-09 10:17:49

ToZ
Administrator

Re: I now have invisible menus......

You could Alt+F2 and blindly type in "xfce4-settings-editor" and press enter. Navigate to the xfwm4 channel and change the popup_opacity value.

Or you could log out of your current Xfce session, go to the first tty (Ctrl+Alt+F1), log in to the text console, and manually edit the ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfwm4.xml file and change the value in the line reading:

<property name="popup_opacity" type="int" value="45"/>

...save the file and re-login to Xfce.

Last edited by ToZ (2014-05-09 10:18:31)

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2014-05-10 00:17:16

puppycutletts
Banned

Re: I now have invisible menus......

Thanks for that......

(the morning after)

I logged out and then (lucky guess) in as a guest, that gave me access to a basic system... got on the interwebnetts came here - made my statement and went off to nurse a brain strain....

Stuck the lappy into SUSPEND - and of course the system asked for a password to resume - this morning... and well guest access requires no password...

Groan - another road block that needs attending too.

So after a switch OFF and switch BACK ON, to get out of that impass....

I went to log back in... and I had a choice.....

Xubuntu Desktop

or

XFCE Desktop

So since I usually use the Xubuntu desktop - and that had the totally clear and invicible menus etc...

I chose the XFCE desk top.

Y-Reka (because Dudley knew what he meant)

Ahhhhh MENUS - take the issue further:

Settings:

Settings Manager:

Window Manager Tweaks:

Compositor:

Opacity of Pop Up Windows - Change the settings from 0 (zero) to 100% to make them totally OPAQUE.

Log out from the XFCE desktop to the Xubuntu desktop - problem fixed.

Board footer