Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-06-01 15:26:44

Kitten

3 things broken after update help! :c

Hello. I am running Ubuntu 14.04 with XFCE on top because XFCE > Unity

I just gotten the desktop the way I wanted it and everything worked so I did a update via the software update program that Ubuntu has.

At first I had weird sound issues but I manage to fix it by just a reboot.

But not everything is as it suppose to be. One thing is that the display menu doesn't work. It starts up but I cant change resolution. I change it around and it asks me if I want to keep this configuration but nothing happens. This is a problem as when I play some games under WINE the game will change my screen resolution to 640x480
Then I always go in and change it back but now I can't do that anymore.
The other thing is the menu editor. I clock it to edit my menu but it doesn't start. I tried reinstalling menulibre but it doesn't fix it. I also tried lxmed but it doesn't start up.
The third thing is that my shotcut is broken. I have mapped so that my super key will bring up a terminal. but even when change it back and going back to default and changeing it again it still doesn't work.

These things seams all related to xfce so that's why I am writing here. Maybe I should go ask the Ubuntu forums but I thought I would start here first.

#2 2014-06-01 21:07:37

ToZ
Administrator

Re: 3 things broken after update help! :c

Kitten wrote:

Hello. I am running Ubuntu 14.04 with XFCE on top because XFCE > Unity

Why not just run Xubuntu of you prefer Xfce?

I just gotten the desktop the way I wanted it and everything worked so I did a update via the software update program that Ubuntu has.

What updates were done? They should be listed in /var/log/apt/history.log.

The first thing you should do is clear your sessions cache and reboot. The sessions cache can be cleared via Settings Manager >> Session and Startup >> Session >> "Clear saved sessions". On reboot, have a look at the xsession-errors log file at ~/.cache/upstart/startxfce4.log to see if there are any errors.

If that doesn't work...

One thing is that the display menu doesn't work. It starts up but I cant change resolution. I change it around and it asks me if I want to keep this configuration but nothing happens. This is a problem as when I play some games under WINE the game will change my screen resolution to 640x480
Then I always go in and change it back but now I can't do that anymore.

Which video card do you have and what driver are you using?

lspci -k | grep -A2 VGA

...and what does the following return:

xrandr -q

The other thing is the menu editor. I clock it to edit my menu but it doesn't start. I tried reinstalling menulibre but it doesn't fix it. I also tried lxmed but it doesn't start up.

What messages do you get if you run the program in a terminal window:

menulibre

The third thing is that my shotcut is broken. I have mapped so that my super key will bring up a terminal. but even when change it back and going back to default and changeing it again it still doesn't work.

Is xfsettingsd running:

ps -ef | grep xfsettingsd | grep -v grep

...and if not, what messages do you get if you try to start it up:

xfsettingsd

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer