Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-02 01:10:28

kingsdene

[Solved] gtk3 app menus not displaying correctly

Hi guys,,
I am running Manjaro XFCE,, After setting up dual monitors on my system,, any gtk3 app menus arent displaying where they're sposed too..
eg.. in gedit the when clicking the open dropdown arrow or prefferences button, rather the menu dropping down from that button, its popping up down the bottom of the screen, not even in the gedit window..
Any ideas would be appreciated
Thanks

#2 2014-08-02 01:43:24

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [Solved] gtk3 app menus not displaying correctly

Hello and welcome to the forums. A few follow-up questions:

Before you set up the dual monitors, were the menus displaying properly? If yes, then how did you set up the dual monitors? Did you use the built-in Display applet or something else (xrandr, xorg config, etc)?

And how about Xfce apps like mousepad or parole? Do their menus display properly?

What appearance theme are you using? Have you tried changing it?

And finally, what version of GTK3 are you currently running? And what version of Xorg-server?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2014-08-03 01:48:52

kingsdene

Hi ToZ, thanks for the reply,,

Yes before dual monitors the menus were displaying properly.
I used nvidia-settings to generate a /etc/X11/mhwd.d/nvidia.conf file. I did have a problem when logging in to my USER account that displays.xml was resetting my screen positions, so I set displays.xml to match my nvidia.conf. Ive now deleted the displays.xml thinking that maybe it had something to do with the menu problem, but its exactly the same.
My nvidia settings screen option is set to - "metamodes" "DVI-I-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0, VGA-0: nvidia-auto-select +1280+750"
I have tried using xrandr to set screen positions (tried multiple different layouts), but I still get this problem.

Also another problem is that certain apps like virtualbox for example seem to open in a tiny window, I have to resize them back to normal every time and my virtual machines displays are all messed up too, its like they're confused with the resolution setup. I assume it runs on gtk3 engine.

Dosent matter what theme I choose, they all do it.
Xfce apps I have no problem with at all.

My GTK3 is  3.12.2-1
Xorg-server is  1.15.2-1

#4 2014-08-03 10:22:12

ToZ
Administrator

kingsdene wrote:

Also another problem is that certain apps like virtualbox for example seem to open in a tiny window, I have to resize them back to normal every time and my virtual machines displays are all messed up too, its like they're confused with the resolution setup. I assume it runs on gtk3 engine.

Actually, virtualbox uses the qt4 toolkit. gedit uses the gtk3 toolkit.

It sounds like an nvidia driver issue. I'm not sure what I can suggest as I don't have any experience with dual monitors and nvidia drivers.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2014-08-03 16:51:06

ToZ
Administrator

Just came across this bug report: https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10625. I wonder if this is what is affecting you. What happens if you set "Don't reserve space on borders" in your panel preferences?

#6 2014-08-03 23:30:27

kingsdene

ToZ wrote:

Actually, virtualbox uses the qt4 toolkit. gedit uses the gtk3 toolkit.

Ah ok, just assumed it may have used gtk3 somehow since gtk3 was playing up

ToZ wrote:

Just came across this bug report: https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10625. I wonder if this is what is affecting you. What happens if you set "Don't reserve space on borders" in your panel preferences?

FIXED!!
I was dreading that it might have been an nvidia issue, everythings working great now.

Thanks very much mate, I really appreciate it.

Board footer