Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-09 15:26:40

johnbeech

Trouble with F.lux or Redshift for night-time computing

Hi,

I'm new to XFCE and I can't get my favourite program running. f.lux. It turns the turn temperature of the monitor down, so it doesnt strain my eyes.  https://justgetflux.com/ I also tried Redshift http://jonls.dk/redshift/ but this didnt work either.

Has anyone got one of these programs running and can help me install them?

XFCE 4.10 distributed by Xubuntu (running on Ubuntu 14.04)
Intel i7-4770 with onboard Intel graphics
Nvidea GTX750 Ti but it's NOT IN USE IN LINUX (just windows)

When I run redshift from the terminal with $ redshift -gtk , I get the following

Trying location provider `geoclue'...
Started Geoclue provider `Geoclue Master'.
Using provider `geoclue'.
According to the geoclue provider we're at: 43.53, -80.25
Gamma ramp size too small: 0
Failed to start adjustment method randr.
Trying next method...
Using method `vidmode'.

which doesn't actually do anything. I guess vidmode doesnt work on my computer?

Last edited by johnbeech (2014-08-09 15:31:30)

#2 2014-08-09 17:09:13

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Trouble with F.lux or Redshift for night-time computing

Gamma ramp size too small: 0
Failed to start adjustment method randr.

I don't believe this is an issue with Xfce. Mostly likely, your video driver doesn't support gamma corrections properly. There is a launchpad question here that discusses this problem with some tests to determine if the video driver supports gamma corrections.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2014-08-09 20:33:24

johnbeech

The thing is, I had flux working on the Unity desktop 14.04 before I installed Xfce. Does xfce replace any graphics drivers or something?

The xgamma adjustments didn't work. They registered on the terminal, but my screen remained the same colour.

Last edited by johnbeech (2014-08-09 20:53:49)

#4 2014-08-09 20:46:04

ToZ
Administrator

johnbeech wrote:

The thing is, I had flux working on the Unity desktop 14.04 before I installed Xfce. Does xfce replace any graphics drivers or something?

No, not the graphics driver. Xubuntu (or Xfce on Ubuntu) is simply the Xfce desktop running on top of the ubuntu platform. The drivers are handled at the platform level.

A bit of a long shot here, but try turning off the compositor (Settings Manager >> Window Manager Tweaks >> Compositor) and try f.lux again. I don't see how it can make a difference, but give it a try.

Is the Unity desktop still installed? Can you start it up and see if f.lux works?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2014-08-09 23:27:48

johnbeech

I tried turning off Compositor, it doesnt help flux.
I still have Unity installed, yet somehow flux doesnt work in Unity, Xfce, or LXDE.
I installed LXDE after Unity, and then Xfce after that. if that's relevant at all

Heres the terminal output from trying xgamma, unfortunately it doesnt work.

john@john-desktop:~$ xgamma -gamma 0.1
-> Red  0.100, Green  0.100, Blue  0.100
<- Red  0.100, Green  0.100, Blue  0.100

Like I mentioned, I'm using the intel on-board graphics driver in xfce, but have a nvidea card that I could try using. It's strange that this used to work.
When I installed the Nvidea driver, then upgraded to 14.04 it crashed my system so I had to uninstall the Nvdia one and to a re-install of ubuntu. I'm fairly positive Flux/redshift still worked at this point. Then, running on Intel driver, I installed LXDE followed by XFCE. Then flux refused to work.

#6 2014-08-09 23:37:50

ToZ
Administrator

Perhaps you can create a thread over at ubuntuforums.org and ask for assistance in setting up Bumblebee. Getting your video drivers properly set up will most probably resolve this issue.

#7 2014-08-10 23:39:12

alcornoqui

Hi. I had similar trouble getting Redshift GUI to work. My workaround has been this:

- Get your location (latitude/longitude): I do it with the Weather plugin (right click > Properties > Location).
- Go to "Configuration" > "Session and Startup" > "Autostart Applications" (mine is in spanish so wording may vary), and add a new item.
- Enter the command "redshift-gtk -l lat:long" (for example: redshift-gtk -l 36.5:-6.28).

You can simply check the command in a terminal first; if it works, then either do like me and add it to the startup applications, or modify the Redshift desktop file and launch it whenever you feel like.

When running, redshift-gtk will show an icon in the indicator plugin on your panel. The app works great.

Hope it helps, I'm no expert...

Board footer