Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-09-17 00:13:13

ljharp

[Solved] Unity Greeter

Ok... I start off by apologizing if this subject is covered somewhere else here.

As I've already stated in the "Hello Section", I'm presently running Xbuntu. I've got it fairly squared away.... like I want it.... but, I can't stand this generic-looking login screen. I'd really like to run the Unity Greeter, but all my searching on the net for direction in installing is proving unfruitful. I thought I'd give the XFCE forum a try. Help!! Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any advice or direction.

P.S. - Xubuntu 14.04 is the version.

LJH

Last edited by ljharp (2014-09-17 00:14:28)

.... the artist formerly known as harpllo. smile

#2 2014-09-17 00:38:48

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [Solved] Unity Greeter

Probably a question more suited for ubuntuforums.org or askubuntu.com. That being said.......

1. Install the unity greeter. Probably best to use --no-install-recommends so that you don't bring in a ton of stuff you don't need:

sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends unity-greeter

2. With root privileges, create the file /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf with the following content:

[SeatDefaults]
greeter-session=unity-greeter

3. Log out and it should become your default greeter.

To revert back to the default, simply remove the /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf file.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2014-09-17 01:03:09

ljharp

Re: [Solved] Unity Greeter

ToZ wrote:

Probably a question more suited for ubuntuforums.org or askubuntu.com. That being said.......

1. Install the unity greeter. Probably best to use --no-install-recommends so that you don't bring in a ton of stuff you don't need:

sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends unity-greeter

2. With root privileges, create the file /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf with the following content:

[SeatDefaults]
greeter-session=unity-greeter

3. Log out and it should become your default greeter.

To revert back to the default, simply remove the /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf file.

Thanks, works like a charm.

.... the artist formerly known as harpllo. smile

Board footer