Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-10-01 15:52:28

thisisbasil

duplicate network icons in xfce4-indicator-plugin [SOLVED]

I am running Xubuntu 14.04, 64-bit and xfce-indicator-plugin 2.3.2.  I recently have been noticing duplicate entries in my indicator plugin, namely the networking icon (see attached image). How would I go about removing duplicates, searches didn't really prove effective for me.

bihw8.jpg

Last edited by thisisbasil (2014-10-01 18:50:58)

#2 2014-10-01 18:02:34

ToZ
Administrator

Re: duplicate network icons in xfce4-indicator-plugin [SOLVED]

Do you have two instances of nm-applet running?

ps -ef | grep nm-applet

If so, you can try to kill one of the processes to get rid of it from this session.

Might be that you have two instances starting up, one in your autostart and one in saved sessions. You can clear out your saved sessions via Settings Manager >> Session and startup >> Session tab >> "Clear saved sessions".

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2014-10-01 18:50:44

thisisbasil

This worked! Thank you.  Is there a reference to find out the names of the applets that would reside it he indicator plugin?

#4 2014-10-01 19:20:05

ToZ
Administrator

thisisbasil wrote:

Is there a reference to find out the names of the applets that would reside it he indicator plugin?

This is where it gets a little confusing.

If you right-click the panel, select Panel >> Properties >> Items tab, and double-click the Indicator icon plugin, you'll see a number of indicators listed. Similarly if double-click the Notification area plugin, you'll see a number of notifiers listed. (These can also be viewed in Settings Manager >> Settings Editor >> xfce4-panel channel, and look for the indicator and systray plugins in the right pane).

The Network Manager Applet shows up in the Notification area (systray) listing, but appears in the Indicator plugin. I'm not sure why. Perhaps the applet is aware that if an indicator plugin is running to show up there? Or, if you look at the indicator log file (~/.cache/xfce4-indicator-plugin.log) you'll see that it adds the nm-* applet using what looks like the Indicator-Application library. Perhaps that is it's purpose?

On my other system, Arch Linux, I don't use the indicator plugin and they all show up in the Notification Area (systray) and are easier to identify and manage.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer