Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-10-04 05:38:04

sadhu

hello

I'm trying xubuntu, having migrated from a slew of other OSs, starting with Windows XP, Vista, 7, then went to Linux Mint 15, Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (and hated the dashboards, which I eventually learned how to disable/delete completely), then back to Linux Mint 17 LTS, and now I've landed on Xubuntu 14.04.

Along the way I tried the Mint xfce interface, but my experience was a bit sour, but I don't remember the details.

But anyway now I'm running Xubuntu and like it ...  except:

--- the whole LibreMenu system is to classic menus what grub2 is to old grub ---  impossibly complicated, confusing, and exasperating (grub-customizer helps)
--- configuration of window items (eg double-clicking title bar)  or hotkeys frankly suck, as compared to Mint 17

What's the basic theory of operation of xfce?  everything runs off of xml?

Still I'll keep plugging and looking for answers first here, then on google.

BTW I have a laptop and a desktop, both of which are production machines. I have identical OSs installed on both. Laptop won't take Mint 17 64-bit, but would take the 32-bit version. But the desktop runs 64-bit OK. Ubuntu 64-bit worked fine on both, but I couldn't get the machines to talk to each other over LAN. So finally here I am with xubuntu 64-bit, installed on both machines, for for one more try.

--sadhu!

#2 2014-10-04 12:08:36

ToZ
Administrator

Re: hello

Welcome.

--- the whole LibreMenu system is to classic menus what grub2 is to old grub ---  impossibly complicated, confusing, and exasperating (grub-customizer helps)

The menu system follows the Desktop Entry Specification. It works for me but I don't spend much time editing the menus. I can see from other posts/threads that people do generally find it confusing.

--- configuration of window items (eg double-clicking title bar)  or hotkeys frankly suck, as compared to Mint 17

Configuration of these items is actually quite easy via the Settings Manager. Exactly how is this different/worse than how Mint 17 does it? And which spin of Mint 17 are you comparing against?

What's the basic theory of operation of xfce?  everything runs off of xml?

The core components of Xfce store their configuration information in xml files that can be accessed via the front-end Settings Manager application or via the command line using xconf-query. Some of the applications that ship with Xfce don't use this system, but rather use configuration files in ~/.config/xfce4. The "basic theory" of Xfce, as stated on the home page:

Xfce is a lightweight desktop environment for UNIX-like operating systems. It aims to be fast and low on system resources, while still being visually appealing and user friendly.

Personally, I find Xfce to be a good lightweight system that is fast, highly configurable and stable. Stable in the sense that I haven't seen it crash in a really long time and stable in the sense that it sticks to the traditional desktop metaphor.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2014-11-21 21:04:02

dubois

Re: hello

Hello, and welcome.  smile

Board footer