Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-10-08 02:01:14

lnx64

Wrong Thumbnails

Having a weird issue here, where a file on my desktop has the wrong thumbnail.  It's a newly created file, but is showing a file from I want to say, a week ago that also had the same file name (cache issue?)

http://i.imgur.com/7jC7SMS.png

Not sure what's up, or if there's even a refresh option.

#2 2014-10-08 02:26:34

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Wrong Thumbnails

You can clear out your thumbnail cache by deleting the contents of ~/.thumbnails. All the thumbnails will be re-created as needed.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2014-10-08 03:11:08

lnx64

This oddly didn't work.  One of the icons on the desktop went to a generic paper icon, log out and log back in, and it fixed itself, but the main icon in question, is not refreshing correctly.  Still shows an old photo.

#4 2014-10-08 14:42:21

ToZ
Administrator

Unfortunately, I can't replicate this problem on my Xubuntu 14.04 install (I believe you are using the same). Do you have another thumbnailer installed other that tumbler? Maybe thumbnailer-service that may be interfering?

Also, do you have a ~/.cache/thumbnails directory?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2014-10-08 15:46:48

lnx64

No other thumbnailer installed.  It's a fresh install of Xubuntu of only 1 week, only Chrome and XChat was installed.

Yes there was a thumbnails directory in /.cache, and sure enough that fixed it.

#6 2014-10-08 22:37:51

ToZ
Administrator

lnx64 wrote:

Yes there was a thumbnails directory in /.cache, and sure enough that fixed it.

Interesting. I don't have that directory. Well, glad its fixed.

#7 2014-10-16 04:30:58

lnx64

Is there a way to tell if another thumbnailer is installed?  I think Xubuntu may possibly have conflicting thumbnailers because on a folder of large amounts of JPG's, the thumbnailer crashes completely and stops thumbnailing new photos, and requires a reboot.

#8 2014-10-16 12:47:32

ToZ
Administrator

I don't have directories with a lot of images, so I haven't run into this problem. There is an existing bug report about tumblerd crashing and a workaround identified in this wiki article. Also looks like the problem still persists on Xubuntu 14.04.

Perhaps this is related to the symptoms that you are seeing?

#9 2014-10-16 23:23:24

lnx64

Took a look at the report, it looks very much possible.  While the symptoms aren't the same (the bug report infers that thumbnail rendering still takes place), it is possible to have other symptoms like mine where rendering completely stops.

But don't forget I had thumbnails in another directory too that you don't have, unless that's simply an Xubuntu thing.  In which case I may be switching to just straight up Debian.

#10 2014-10-17 10:36:51

MountainDewManiac

lnx64 wrote:

Is there a way to tell if another thumbnailer is installed?  I think Xubuntu may possibly have conflicting thumbnailers because on a folder of large amounts of JPG's, the thumbnailer crashes completely and stops thumbnailing new photos, and requires a reboot.

You could run Synaptic Package Manager, select status (I think), installed, and then type thumbnail in the search box. I would expect that to bring up a list of everything that has thumbnail* in its name our description which is currently installed.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#11 2014-10-17 14:51:24

lnx64

MountainDewManiac wrote:
lnx64 wrote:

You could run Synaptic Package Manager, select status (I think), installed, and then type thumbnail in the search box. I would expect that to bring up a list of everything that has thumbnail* in its name our description which is currently installed.

Regards,
MDM

Thanks, this exposed something I think is extra:  libthumbnailer0

Based on it's description, that could definitely be conflicting with tumbler, if it's not part of the default installation of Xfce.

Board footer