Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-10-08 15:05:40

s0m3f00l

[Solved] xfce-panel keeps disappearing while browsing or working in terminal

xfce-panel keeps disappearing while browsing in iceweasel or working in terminal . I only have 2 plugins running xfce-power-manger-plugins and xfce4-battery-monitor-plugin both from the debian testing repos.  The only thing I receive when starting the xfce4 panel is:

(xfce4-panel:1657): GLib-WARNING **: (/build/buildd/glib2.0-2.32.3/./glib/gerror.c:390):g_error_new_valist: runtime check failed: (domain != 0)
xfce4-panel: Failed to connect to session manager: Failed to connect to the session manager: SESSION_MANAGER environment variable not defined

It also appeared that the power-manager settings doesn't allow me to set the suspend or hibernate, could these things be related? Has anyone else experienced this random disappearing of panels? If so how did you resolve it? The only other thread I found in reference to this had problems with fonts but they were receiving errors that led in that direction...

I am currently running Debian Testing Jessie with xorg, openbox, tint2, and  conky.  I have also installed the latest 3.17 kernel.

Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: I will mark this as solved... It hasnt crashed since I started it with "PANEL_DEBUG=1 xfce4-panel" Extremely strange but I guess whatever works is fine with me thank you all...

Last edited by s0m3f00l (2014-10-14 17:11:57)

#2 2014-10-08 20:07:54

s0m3f00l

Re: [Solved] xfce-panel keeps disappearing while browsing or working in terminal

plz respond.... sad

Last edited by s0m3f00l (2014-10-08 20:08:13)

#3 2014-10-08 22:36:39

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [Solved] xfce-panel keeps disappearing while browsing or working in terminal

So to confirm, you're running openbox and only want one component of Xfce, xfce4-panel, to run with it (not xfwm or xfdesktop or xfce4-session). Is this correct?

Do you have SESSION_MANAGER defined:

env | grep SESSION_MANAGER

How are you starting openbox?

And finally, what happens if you start xfce4-panel like this:

PANEL_DEBUG=1 xfce4-panel

...do you get some extra information printed in the terminal window? More panel debugging info here.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#4 2014-10-08 23:04:16

s0m3f00l

Thanks Toz! when I

env | grep SESSION_MANAGER

I get nothing in return... I am also unsure what I use to startup openbox. Once I installed xorg and openbox it I used startx and from that point forward its done so at login.... ( I use slim) It may be that I am using Xsession as thats where the startx came from.  I only want xfce4-panel I was trying to do a basic openbox install but I can install other things to get this working...

edit: hasnt crashed since I started with debug I will let you guys know...

Last edited by s0m3f00l (2014-10-08 23:52:18)

Board footer