Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-10-12 07:45:29

lnx64

Problems with WINE and Photoshop

Got a weird one here, and it's causing me to still keep Unity on my Xubuntu system.

When using Photoshop CS through WINE, on Xfce, I can't drag the tool windows around without it flickering like crazy, and usually freezing up and causing CPU usage to spike through the roof.  It's weird as I'm not sure what could even be causing it and where to begin.

In Unity, none of this happens and all works just fine as is, in fact runs great.

Ideas on where to start with this one?  I welcome any ideas.

#2 2014-10-12 12:47:25

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Problems with WINE and Photoshop

There is a reference in the "Minor Issues" section of this WineHQ entry for Photoshop about a similar issue with the proprietary nvidia driver. The solution there seems to be reverting back to the opensource driver.

Another option is to try running the app in emulated virtual desktop as can be setup in winecfg.

Out of curiosity, does the flickering stop if you turn off composting?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2014-10-12 16:33:53

lnx64

I saw that there when trying to figure this out, but I am using open source Radeon drivers.  But if it was a driver issues, I would assume it would happen on multiple desktops.

I can try without compositing and see how that works, sure.

#4 2014-10-12 17:21:39

lnx64

These results were interesting, so I had to video tape it rather than explain it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJGxIDHgfrc

#5 2014-10-12 20:16:20

ToZ
Administrator

There is a bad window error message in your video. I can't quite make out from your video, but does that error message show up when you run photoshop? Or when you run the compositor?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#6 2014-10-12 20:38:43

lnx64

Here's a better view of it.

H7ZW2JU.png

It's directly from the compositor Compton when run from a terminal for testing.  I haven't seen any errors from Xfce itself even when it's having it's own issues like the whole not clearing windows when moving it around issue.  So far only Compton gives us an idea of what's going on.

#7 2014-10-12 20:47:33

lnx64

Oh wait sorry I misread what you asked.

Those are errors from the compositor, WHEN running Photoshop.

#8 2014-10-12 20:59:10

ToZ
Administrator

I guess there must be a reason why you're using compton. It would be interesting to see if you get the same issues with the Xfce compositor.

#9 2014-10-12 21:22:01

lnx64

It does, basically any compositor is doing it, even Compiz, which Unity uses, so I'm not sure it has to do with the compositor.  Even no compositor has issues, like in the video when I shut off compositing.

I use Compton, because it's small, and gets rid of pesky VSync issues and tearing that even Xfce's own compositor has, despite VSync being turned on.  I'm not a fan of Xrender, just too old school.

#10 2014-10-13 00:20:49

lnx64

I'm really hoping you or someone else can help.  It looks like a bug since only Xfce is having a fit with WINE and Photoshop CS.  Unity and MATE work just fine with it.

#11 2014-10-13 00:47:37

ToZ
Administrator

It sounds like it might be an issue with the graphics card and Xfce-based composting, but I'm not sure what else to suggest.

#12 2014-10-13 03:10:58

lnx64

But once again, turning OFF compositing still causes issues.  Unless you mean to tell me turning it off doesn't truly turn it off.  This happens on multiple computers of different video cards, so once again I feel it's a bug that needs to be addressed.  The fact it happens in software rendering, tells me it has something to do with either Ibus (which is killing usage and may be related), or Gnome compatibility in some way.

Does Xfce have it's own log files that can be used to help?  Some form of debugging mode?  Anything?

Last edited by lnx64 (2014-10-13 03:23:54)

#13 2014-10-13 15:18:23

ToZ
Administrator

Does Xfce have it's own log files that can be used to help?  Some form of debugging mode?  Anything?

Which distro and which version?

If its Xubuntu 14.04, you'll find log files in ~/.cache/upstart (I believe its called startxfce4.log). In previous versions, it was logged into ~/.xsession-errors. Arch logs to the journal.

Some interesting troubleshooting tips here. Especially related to "composite" enabled in Xorg.

#14 2014-10-13 15:44:00

lnx64

Well once again, it has nothing to do with any form of compositing.  I can't possibly explain this any further.  I have tried both with and without, and without as seen in the video STILL has issues.  Why do you keep pushing compositing as the problem when I have told you countless times it's turned off? I don't even have an Nvidia video card, I am using Open Source ATI Radeon drivers, and FGLRX will not work (nor would I want to use that anyway).  This is getting silly and irritating.

Xubuntu 14.04, rolled from Ubuntu.

Here's the only two logs that show up.

/usr/bin/startxfce4: X server already running on display :0
xfce4-session: GNOME compatibility is enabled and gnome-keyring-daemon is found on the system. Skipping gpg/ssh-agent startup.

(xfce4-session:23612): xfce4-session-WARNING **: Unable to launch "" (specified by autostart/light-locker.desktop): Text was empty (or contained only whitespace)

** (nm-applet:23634): WARNING **: Couldn't connect to accessibility bus: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-aLdrLKBSCv: Connection refused

** (polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:23676): WARNING **: Couldn't connect to accessibility bus: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-aLdrLKBSCv: Connection refused
nm-applet-Message: using fallback from indicator to GtkStatusIcon

(polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:23676): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_variant_new_string: assertion 'string != NULL' failed

(polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:23676): polkit-gnome-1-WARNING **: Failed to register client: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

(xfce4-session:23612): xfce4-session-WARNING **: Unable to launch "/usr/lib/evolution/3.10/evolution-alarm-notify" (specified by autostart/evolution-alarm-notify.desktop): Failed to execute child process "/usr/lib/evolution/3.10/evolution-alarm-notify" (No such file or directory)

** (update-notifier:23702): WARNING **: Couldn't connect to accessibility bus: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-aLdrLKBSCv: Connection refused
nm-applet-Message: moving back from GtkStatusIcon to indicator
Loading configuration plugins

** (wrapper-2.0:23750): WARNING **: Couldn't connect to accessibility bus: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-aLdrLKBSCv: Connection refused
blueman-applet version 1.23 starting
init: indicator-bluetooth main process ended, respawning
init: indicator-power main process ended, respawning
init: indicator-application main process ended, respawning
Stale PID, overwriting
init: indicator-application main process ended, respawning
init: indicator-application respawning too fast, stopped
Using gconf config backend
init: indicator-power respawning too fast, stopped
init: indicator-bluetooth respawning too fast, stopped

(zeitgeist-datahub:23700): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(zeitgeist-datahub:23700): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion 'G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

** (zeitgeist-datahub:23700): WARNING **: recent-manager-provider.vala:132: Desktop file for "file:///home/brandon/Documents/fax%20number" was not found, exec: soffice, mime_type: application/octet-stream

** (zeitgeist-datahub:23700): WARNING **: recent-manager-provider.vala:132: Desktop file for "file:///home/brandon/Downloads/2014-10-11-18-36-01.png" was not found, exec: google-chrome-stable, mime_type: image/png

** (zeitgeist-datahub:23700): WARNING **: recent-manager-provider.vala:132: Desktop file for "file:///home/brandon/Downloads/Nixon_meeting_with_Senator_BobDole_-_NARA_-_194710.tif" was not found, exec: bless, mime_type: image/tiff

** (zeitgeist-datahub:23700): WARNING **: recent-manager-provider.vala:132: Desktop file for "file:///home/brandon/Documents/MTU%20List" was not found, exec: bless, mime_type: application/octet-stream

** (zeitgeist-datahub:23700): WARNING **: recent-manager-provider.vala:132: Desktop file for "file:///home/brandon/Documents/Health%20Care.pdf" was not found, exec: bless, mime_type: application/pdf

** (zeitgeist-datahub:23700): WARNING **: recent-manager-provider.vala:132: Desktop file for "file:///home/brandon/Documents/Snatcher%20(U)/Snatcher%20(Sega%20CD)%20(U)-redump.bin" was not found, exec: bless, mime_type: application/octet-stream

** (zeitgeist-datahub:23700): WARNING **: recent-manager-provider.vala:132: Desktop file for "file:///usr/share/xfce4/backdrops/xubuntu-quantal.png" was not found, exec: blueman-sendto, mime_type: image/png

** (zeitgeist-datahub:23700): WARNING **: recent-manager-provider.vala:132: Desktop file for "file:///home/brandon/Pictures/hzYAdBH.jpg" was not found, exec: google-chrome-stable, mime_type: image/jpeg

** (zeitgeist-datahub:23700): WARNING **: recent-manager-provider.vala:132: Desktop file for "file:///home/brandon/Pictures/vlR2Ssl.jpg" was not found, exec: bless, mime_type: image/jpeg

** (zeitgeist-datahub:23700): WARNING **: recent-manager-provider.vala:132: Desktop file for "file:///home/brandon/Pictures/03722_fallingdarkness_1440x900.jpg" was not found, exec: google-chrome-stable, mime_type: image/jpeg

** (zeitgeist-datahub:23700): WARNING **: recent-manager-provider.vala:132: Desktop file for "file:///home/brandon/Pictures/03716_morningmist_1440x900.jpg" was not found, exec: google-chrome-stable, mime_type: image/jpeg

** (zeitgeist-datahub:23700): WARNING **: recent-manager-provider.vala:132: Desktop file for "file:///home/brandon/Documents/Console%20ROMs/Genesis/MD/C/Chakan%20-%20The%20Forever%20Man%20(UE)%20%5B!%5D.gen" was not found, exec: Fusion, mime_type: application/x-genesis-rom

** (zeitgeist-datahub:23700): WARNING **: recent-manager-provider.vala:132: Desktop file for "file:///home/brandon/Documents/Console%20ROMs/Genesis/MD/S/Sparkster%20(U)%20%5B!%5D.gen" was not found, exec: Fusion, mime_type: application/x-genesis-rom

** (zeitgeist-datahub:23700): WARNING **: recent-manager-provider.vala:132: Desktop file for "file:///home/brandon/Pictures/clouds2.jpg" was not found, exec: google-chrome-stable, mime_type: image/jpeg

** (zeitgeist-datahub:23700): WARNING **: recent-manager-provider.vala:132: Desktop file for "file:///home/brandon/Pictures/clouds1.jpg" was not found, exec: google-chrome-stable, mime_type: image/jpeg

** (zeitgeist-datahub:23700): WARNING **: recent-manager-provider.vala:132: Desktop file for "file:///home/brandon/Downloads/Sonic%20The%20Hedgehog%20(W)%20(Improvement%20Hack).bin" was not found, exec: Fusion, mime_type: application/octet-stream

** (zeitgeist-datahub:23700): WARNING **: recent-manager-provider.vala:132: Desktop file for "file:///home/brandon/Pictures/sunsetonthecharles.jpg" was not found, exec: mate-appearance-properties, mime_type: image/jpeg

** (update-manager:24041): WARNING **: Couldn't connect to accessibility bus: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-aLdrLKBSCv: Connection refused
Pattern "": PCRE regular expression study failed: (null)[     5.28 ] error 3 (BadWindow) request 2 minor 0 serial 405 ("BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)")
[    10.20 ] error 3 (BadWindow) request 2 minor 0 serial 1158 ("BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)")
Error creating proxy: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.gtk.vfs.Daemon: Timeout was reached (g-io-error-quark, 24)

(xfsettingsd:23728): GVFS-CRITICAL **: fill_mountable_info: assertion 'proxy != NULL' failed

** (gcalctool:24136): WARNING **: Couldn't connect to accessibility bus: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-aLdrLKBSCv: Connection refused
ERROR:dbus.proxies:Introspect error on :1.39:/org/freedesktop/PowerManagement/Inhibit: dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
err:service:validate_service_config Service L"Spontmgr" is Win32 but has no image path set
err:service:scmdatabase_load_services Invalid configuration of service L"Spontmgr" - skipping
xfce4-taskmanager-Message: Running as brandon on BrandonsLinuxLaptop

(wrapper-1.0:23742): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 3905 was not found when attempting to remove it
fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00000100
fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00004100
err:shell:HCR_GetFolderAttributes should be called for simple PIDL's only!
fixme:msg:pack_message msg 14 (WM_ERASEBKGND) not supported yet
fixme:ole:RemUnknown_QueryInterface No interface for iid {00000019-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}
fixme:ole:CoInitializeSecurity ((nil),-1,(nil),(nil),1,3,(nil),0,(nil)) - stub!
fixme:ole:RemUnknown_QueryInterface No interface for iid {00000019-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}
fixme:wia:wiadevmgr_QueryInterface interface {00000003-0000-0000-c000-000000000046} not implemented
fixme:wia:wiadevmgr_QueryInterface interface {00000003-0000-0000-c000-000000000046} not implemented
fixme:wia:wiadevmgr_QueryInterface interface {00000019-0000-0000-c000-000000000046} not implemented
fixme:thread:start_thread Started native thread 0000002e
fixme:thread:start_thread Started native thread 00000038
err:twain:twain_add_onedriver Source->(DG_CONTROL,DAT_IDENTITY,MSG_GET) failed!
err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x13f40f8 "?" wait timed out in thread 001e, blocked by 0029, retrying (60 sec)
fixme:ole:CoResumeClassObjects stub
err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x13f40f8 "?" wait timed out in thread 001e, blocked by 0029, retrying (60 sec)

** (zeitgeist-datahub:23700): WARNING **: recent-manager-provider.vala:132: Desktop file for "file:///home/brandon/Documents/fax%20number" was not found, exec: soffice, mime_type: application/octet-stream

** (zeitgeist-datahub:23700): WARNING **: recent-manager-provider.vala:132: Desktop file for "file:///home/brandon/Downloads/2014-10-11-18-36-01.png" was not found, exec: google-chrome-stable, mime_type: image/png

** (zeitgeist-datahub:23700): WARNING **: recent-manager-provider.vala:132: Desktop file for "file:///home/brandon/Downloads/Nixon_meeting_with_Senator_BobDole_-_NARA_-_194710.tif" was not found, exec: bless, mime_type: image/tiff

** (zeitgeist-datahub:23700): WARNING **: recent-manager-provider.vala:132: Desktop file for "file:///home/brandon/Documents/MTU%20List" was not found, exec: bless, mime_type: application/octet-stream

** (zeitgeist-datahub:23700): WARNING **: recent-manager-provider.vala:132: Desktop file for "file:///home/brandon/Documents/Health%20Care.pdf" was not found, exec: bless, mime_type: application/pdf

** (zeitgeist-datahub:23700): WARNING **: recent-manager-provider.vala:132: Desktop file for "file:///home/brandon/Documents/Snatcher%20(U)/Snatcher%20(Sega%20CD)%20(U)-redump.bin" was not found, exec: bless, mime_type: application/octet-stream

** (zeitgeist-datahub:23700): WARNING **: recent-manager-provider.vala:132: Desktop file for "file:///usr/share/xfce4/backdrops/xubuntu-quantal.png" was not found, exec: blueman-sendto, mime_type: image/png

** (zeitgeist-datahub:23700): WARNING **: recent-manager-provider.vala:132: Desktop file for "file:///home/brandon/Pictures/hzYAdBH.jpg" was not found, exec: google-chrome-stable, mime_type: image/jpeg

** (zeitgeist-datahub:23700): WARNING **: recent-manager-provider.vala:132: Desktop file for "file:///home/brandon/Pictures/vlR2Ssl.jpg" was not found, exec: bless, mime_type: image/jpeg

** (zeitgeist-datahub:23700): WARNING **: recent-manager-provider.vala:132: Desktop file for "file:///home/brandon/Pictures/03722_fallingdarkness_1440x900.jpg" was not found, exec: google-chrome-stable, mime_type: image/jpeg

** (zeitgeist-datahub:23700): WARNING **: recent-manager-provider.vala:132: Desktop file for "file:///home/brandon/Pictures/03716_morningmist_1440x900.jpg" was not found, exec: google-chrome-stable, mime_type: image/jpeg

** (zeitgeist-datahub:23700): WARNING **: recent-manager-provider.vala:132: Desktop file for "file:///home/brandon/Documents/Console%20ROMs/Genesis/MD/C/Chakan%20-%20The%20Forever%20Man%20(UE)%20%5B!%5D.gen" was not found, exec: Fusion, mime_type: application/x-genesis-rom

** (zeitgeist-datahub:23700): WARNING **: recent-manager-provider.vala:132: Desktop file for "file:///home/brandon/Documents/Console%20ROMs/Genesis/MD/S/Sparkster%20(U)%20%5B!%5D.gen" was not found, exec: Fusion, mime_type: application/x-genesis-rom

** (zeitgeist-datahub:23700): WARNING **: recent-manager-provider.vala:132: Desktop file for "file:///home/brandon/Pictures/clouds2.jpg" was not found, exec: google-chrome-stable, mime_type: image/jpeg

** (zeitgeist-datahub:23700): WARNING **: recent-manager-provider.vala:132: Desktop file for "file:///home/brandon/Pictures/clouds1.jpg" was not found, exec: google-chrome-stable, mime_type: image/jpeg

** (zeitgeist-datahub:23700): WARNING **: recent-manager-provider.vala:132: Desktop file for "file:///home/brandon/Downloads/Sonic%20The%20Hedgehog%20(W)%20(Improvement%20Hack).bin" was not found, exec: Fusion, mime_type: application/octet-stream

** (zeitgeist-datahub:23700): WARNING **: recent-manager-provider.vala:132: Desktop file for "file:///home/brandon/Pictures/sunsetonthecharles.jpg" was not found, exec: mate-appearance-properties, mime_type: image/jpeg
fixme:ole:CoSuspendClassObjects 
err:ole:CoReleaseMarshalData IMarshal::ReleaseMarshalData failed with error 0x8001011d
xfce4-taskmanager-Message: Running as brandon on BrandonsLinuxLaptop
err:service:validate_service_config Service L"Spontmgr" is Win32 but has no image path set
err:service:scmdatabase_load_services Invalid configuration of service L"Spontmgr" - skipping
fixme:wia:wiadevmgr_QueryInterface interface {00000019-0000-0000-c000-000000000046} not implemented
fixme:thread:start_thread Started native thread 0000000b
fixme:thread:start_thread Started native thread 00000009
err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x13f40f8 "?" wait timed out in thread 0047, blocked by 0025, retrying (60 sec)
err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x13f40f8 "?" wait timed out in thread 0047, blocked by 0025, retrying (60 sec)
err:ole:CoReleaseMarshalData IMarshal::ReleaseMarshalData failed with error 0x8001011d

(xfce4-session:23612): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
init: indicator-datetime main process (23778) killed by TERM signal
init: indicator-session main process (23786) killed by TERM signal

Last edited by lnx64 (2014-10-13 15:47:15)

#15 2014-10-13 21:03:52

ToZ
Administrator

lnx64 wrote:

This is getting silly and irritating.

Perhaps its time I step aside and let someone else assist.

#16 2014-10-15 02:16:00

lnx64

I managed a functional workaround.  Disable the allowing of the window manager to handle windows and controls (but not an emulated desktop).  It still doesn't allow tool windows to be on top but I can manage the windows at least now.  So it appears Xfce's window manager can't manage the windows properly, and possibly due to how photoshop tries to make those windows always on top, being those tool windows seem to be causing issues in every possible scenario.  In fact it did have a flaw in Unity's Dash, that I didn't know..  Those tool windows caused Dash to be UNDER all windows and no longer on top.  So it wasn't compositing like I felt, it's just how the window managers handle always on top windows.

Board footer