Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-10-22 10:11:56

Yenya
Website

[Solved] Terminal: font size and color scheme from the command line

Hello!

I have an xfce4-terminal question:
I use green-on-black color scheme with 9px font size. I occasionally give presentations, including practical demonstrations. I often use xfce4-terminal for the practical part. However, for the text to be visible in the projected image, I have to use different settings than those I normally use: font size at least 14px, and white-on-black or black-on-white color scheme. When I change the settings in the Preferences menu, all my terminals get these new parameters. And I have to change it back after the presentation.

What is the best way to run a new xfce4-terminal window/instance with completely different settings, specified on the command line?

Thanks!

-Yenya

Last edited by Yenya (2014-10-23 06:54:54)

#2 2014-10-22 10:31:36

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [Solved] Terminal: font size and color scheme from the command line

You can create a second XDG_CONFIG_HOME and specify a specific instance of xfce4-terminal to use that XDG_CONFIG_HOME.

1. Change the settings of xfce4-terminal to the second set that you want.
2. Create the secondary config home:

mkdir -p ~/.config2/xfce4/terminal

3. Copy the terminalrc file over:

cp ~/.config/xfce4/terminal/terminalrc ~/.config2/xfce4/terminal

4. Change the xfce4-terminal settings back to what you normally use. You should now have 2 terminalrc files: the regular one in ~/.config/xfce4/terminal and the new one in ~/.config2/xfce4/terminal.

To use the new XDG_CONFIG_HOME instead of the regular one, run xfce4-terminal like this:

XDG_CONFIG_HOME=~/.config2 xfce4-terminal --disable-server

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2014-10-23 06:54:33

Yenya
Website

Re: [Solved] Terminal: font size and color scheme from the command line

ToZ wrote:

You can create a second XDG_CONFIG_HOME and specify a specific instance of xfce4-terminal to use that XDG_CONFIG_HOME.
(...)

This works, thanks!

The minor problem is that even subprocesses inherit the environment variable XDG_CONFIG_HOME, so when I run another X application from within the terminal, it will not have its settings, which are in the original XDG_CONFIG_HOME. I can live with it, but having a --xdg-config-home command-line option would be even better.

Board footer