Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-11-05 11:07:56

superflip

[Solved] Start evolution script vom panel

Hi,

this is my first post to this forum.

I Have added startup of evolution within a script with "nohup evolution &", which works fine, when I start it from the command-line.
If I add this script to the panel (Launcher Item -> create blank item) it doesn't work. Other parts of the script works.

XFCE: 4.10
Xubuntu 13.04

Thanks,
Philipp

#2 2014-11-05 11:24:40

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [Solved] Start evolution script vom panel

Welcome.

The "&" is not necessary in a panel launcher as the item will be launched as a background process anyways. In fact, the "&" interferes with the execution of the command because it is not being properly interpreted. You can either:

nohup evolution

...or enclose the whole command in a bash command string to get a complete shell to interpret the command:

bash -c "nohup evolution &"

If you're looking for the output of the command to be redirected to a file, you'll need to implicitly state it:

bash -c "nohup evolution > /tmp/nohup.out"

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2014-11-05 12:09:34

superflip

Re: [Solved] Start evolution script vom panel

thank you very much for the fast resonse. I now use nohup evolution.

But I guess the main mistake was a completly different one.
I did a kill of all evolution processes before in the script (because this is the actual solution for me to bring back my Exchange-Calendars to Evolution) and the script itself was named startup-evolution.sh - so also the script itself was terminated.

Thanks,
Philipp

Last edited by superflip (2014-11-05 12:09:56)

Board footer