Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-11-05 21:34:55

por4por

Problem with Panel

A have a few problems that I believe stem from a single issue.

I have 2 panels on my desktop.

1 on the bottom center with the typical icons - Add Terminal / new note /  file manager / time / etc..
2nd on top with task list.

For some reason I now can see the title bar ( minimize, maximize and exit icons) I never had this before. Before it was just embedded in the screen like a "normal" windows taskbar.  Both panels can now freely move around unlike before being stuck into their positions. I can also see the "Xfce Panel" as actual tasks in my task menu on the top panel, which never occurred before.

I've tried deleting it and reinstating it, but nothing.

Any ideas would be great, Thanks

#2 2014-11-05 23:30:57

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Problem with Panel

por4por wrote:

For some reason I now can see the title bar ( minimize, maximize and exit icons) I never had this before. Before it was just embedded in the screen like a "normal" windows taskbar.

You mean, you've never had window borders and decorations before? The xfwm4 application (Window Manager) is what manages those elements in Xfce and was probably never being properly started before (a guess). Maybe something happened/changed in your system where its now properly starting. This is the way that Xfce was meant to run - with a window manager.

Both panels can now freely move around unlike before being stuck into their positions.

If you right-click the panel and choose Panel >> Panel Preferences, you'll see a "Lock Panel" option. Enable this to lock the panel in position so that it doesn't move around.

I can also see the "Xfce Panel" as actual tasks in my task menu on the top panel, which never occurred before.

This one is odd. It should always be there if xfce4-panel was running. Any chance you have another panel application installed that was running before?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2014-11-14 01:43:05

por4por

Here is an image of my desktop. I have never had the ability to move the entire panel around. It should be docked. I have no panel preferences through a right click.
FluxBB bbcode test

Version 4.4.2 (XFCE 4.4)

Hopefully this image shows more than I explained smile

Thanks ToZ

#4 2014-11-14 02:00:30

ToZ
Administrator

por4por wrote:

Version 4.4.2 (XFCE 4.4)

o-0

That is really an old version. I can't even remember the specifics of it. Any chance you can upgrade? So much has changed since then.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2014-11-14 02:02:35

por4por

aaaaa... Its at work.. Thats probably why IT is  telling me to F off.. haa They just told me to search around in the preferences, which I have.. but nothing..

#6 2014-11-14 04:56:28

MountainDewManiac

You work at a place that has an IT department and they're using versions that old on the company computers? Aren't there possible security implications with failing to update files once in a while?

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

Board footer