Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-11-11 00:10:45

eul3

How to add new panel items

I miss applets from MATE version of Linux Mint (cpu temp and cpu frequency changer). How can I add them to XFCE version of Mint? I am new to Linux world.

#2 2014-11-11 03:32:40

ToZ
Administrator

Re: How to add new panel items

Not sure what the Mate versions of these applets look like or how they behave, but Xfce has a CPU Frequency Plugin and a Sensors Plugin that should fit the bill. You may need to install them if they are not part of the default Mint install.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2014-11-11 06:52:04

MountainDewManiac

I was never able to use xfce4-cpufreq-plugin to change the CPU frequency/mode (as it's just a monitor), so I added indicator-cpufreq. I think it'll be in your repositories; run Synaptic Package manager and type its name into the searchbox. I can use it to set the CPU to anything between 1.2gHz & 2.5gHz "Turbo Mode" and also set the behavior to "Ondemand" (default), Performance, Conservative, and "Powersave" modes.

Once installed, I just ran it and it added itself to the xfce4-indicator-plugin (IIRC).

Unfortunately, I can't use it to display the CPU frequency, and I can't use the monitor to set it - so I have both on my top panel. It works, though.

With the sensors panel applet, (IIRC,) the first time I installed it - possibly on reboot - I got a popup error message telling me that I had to do something or other and that a "quick and dirty method" for taking care of it was "..." (I cannot remember). So I copied the directions down, opened a terminal window, and used them. That has given me a panel display of both CPU core temperatures and the hard drive temperature (configured to show as text, with labels and units).

YMMV on the above, of course, but I am also using Mint (version 17, 64-bit, XFCE).

In a previous Mint - 14, I believe - one could add a thing to a panel which existed to allow the user to add certain MATE panel apps, but it was broken in a newer version of Mint and IDK if they ever made it work again. Might ask in the Mint forum.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#4 2014-11-11 10:55:32

sixsixfive
Website

there is also the wmdock plugin to show dockapps on the panel

and the most useful : the genmon plugin in which you could display the output of any command on your panel eg: cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq | grep `sed... ...whatever

#5 2014-11-11 11:29:34

Jerry3904

And conky is great for this--especially now that the conkymanager2 package (Debian, at least) makes installation and setup much easier

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

Board footer