Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-11-15 23:15:54

diy

missing "start button" after upgrading to xubuntu 14.10

After upgrading from xubuntu 14.04 to 14.10, the "start button" (looks like a paw in 14.04) is missing from the panel. In addition, all menu fonts look incredibly ugly (including in Thunar). I have been playing with various settings for close to two hours, but to no avail. This seems like an xfce rather than ubuntu problem to me, and could be easily fixed in the hands of experts on this forum. Please help. Thank you.

#2 2014-11-16 01:30:05

ToZ
Administrator

Re: missing "start button" after upgrading to xubuntu 14.10

diy wrote:

After upgrading from xubuntu 14.04 to 14.10, the "start button" (looks like a paw in 14.04) is missing from the panel.

Actually, its a mouse face. If its gone, try adding it back. Its called the "Whisker Menu" plugin (right-click the panel, select Panel >> Panel Preferences >> Items tab).

In addition, all menu fonts look incredibly ugly (including in Thunar). I have been playing with various settings for close to two hours, but to no avail.

A screenshot would be helpful here to see what you mean by "ugly". Have you tried changing the settings in Settings Manager >> Appearance >> Fonts? I find that if you enable "Anti-aliasing" with "Slight" hinting and "RBG" sub-pixel ordering, you get good results.

This seems like an xfce rather than ubuntu problem to me

Maybe, maybe not.
Did the upgrade complete successfully? Did you get any errors?
Have you tried with another user account (say Guest), to see if that account has the same issues? If not, it might just be an issue with your profile.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2014-11-16 04:00:40

diy

Well, the "Whisker Menu" is in my panel, but just not displaying. By the way, how do I upload a screenshot?

Thanks for suggesting using another user account. I tried guest account, things look normal. So it must be related to my profile. An important hint is that my current icons look different from the normal ones, eg, the normal logout icon is a yellow left arrow <=, but my current logout icon is a man running. I remember seeing this when I was fiddling with 14.04 (first time xubuntu user). I might have done something fragile, ie, worked in 14.04, but fails in 14.10. I know it's a simple matter of switching on or off something, but I cannot find it. Thanks again for help.

#4 2014-11-16 11:05:20

ToZ
Administrator

diy wrote:

Well, the "Whisker Menu" is in my panel, but just not displaying. By the way, how do I upload a screenshot?

I like to use zimagez.com, but there are many other image hosting sites. If you use zimagez, after you upload your image, you'll be offered a BBCode string. Copy and paste that string into your reply.

Thanks for suggesting using another user account. I tried guest account, things look normal. So it must be related to my profile. An important hint is that my current icons look different from the normal ones, eg, the normal logout icon is a yellow left arrow <=, but my current logout icon is a man running. I remember seeing this when I was fiddling with 14.04 (first time xubuntu user). I might have done something fragile, ie, worked in 14.04, but fails in 14.10. I know it's a simple matter of switching on or off something, but I cannot find it. Thanks again for help.

The icon theme can be changed at Settings Manager >> Appearance >> Icon tab.

You can reset your Xfce settings back to defaults by, while not logged in (Ctrl+Alt+F1 and logging into your account in the text screen), renaming your ~/.config/xfce directory and deleting ~/.cache/sessions:

mv ~/.config/xfce4 ~/.config/xfce4.BAK
rm -rf ~/.cache/sessions

...then the next time you log in graphically, it will re-create ~/.config/xfce4 with the default settings.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2014-11-16 12:27:38

MountainDewManiac

ToZ wrote:
diy wrote:

I like to use zimagez.com, but there are many other image hosting sites. If you use zimagez, after you upload your image, you'll be offered a BBCode string. Copy and paste that string into your reply.

That one is handy because when you use the Prt Sc key to take a screenshot, uploading your image there is one of the options that you are presented with. (IDK if this is a default behavior with XFCE or just the way that the Mint people set it up when they did the XFCE version of their distro, but I suspect the former.)

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

Board footer