Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-11-20 14:30:27

Jerry3904

screenshooter default image name

We have screenshooter mapped to PrntScreen, and in general it works fine. The only problem is that when a user saves a file, it proposes something like this (at least in Debian Stable):

Screenshot - 11202014 - 09:23:58 AM.png

The problem is the presence of spaces, which prevents the file from being saved. Basic users have no clue about this, so we repeatedly get forum posts about how print screen is screwed up.

I have snooped around and searched the web, but as yet have not found a way to modify that behavior. I see a config file in ~/.config/xfce4/xfce4-screenshooter, but its contents are meager:

delay=4
region=1
action=1
show_mouse=0
screenshot_dir=file:/home/jb/Pictures
app=mirage
last_user=

Nothing there to change, and although I tried to introduce a line like this:

screenshot_name=screenshot.png

and that didn't work (didn't expect it to). Have I missed something really obvious? TIA

Last edited by Jerry3904 (2014-11-20 15:02:18)

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#2 2014-11-20 15:02:03

ToZ
Administrator

Re: screenshooter default image name

I didn't think you could change the name, but then I had a look at the code and found:

timestamp = xfce_rc_read_bool_entry (rc, "timestamp", TRUE);

Apparently, "timestamp" is a valid config entry.

Furthermore,

/* If @timestamp is true, generates a file name @title - date - hour - n.png,
 * where n is the lowest integer such as this file does not exist in the @uri
 * folder.
 * Else, generates a file name @title-n.png, where n is the lowest integer
 * such as this file does not exist in the @uri folder.

So, it you set:

timestamp=false

...in the config file, it doesn't generate the timestamp piece.

Cool.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2014-11-20 15:13:17

Jerry3904

Awesome! We are just about to put out a point release 14.3, and this annoying bug can now be fixed for it. Thanks a lot.

cool

Last edited by Jerry3904 (2014-11-20 15:16:50)

#4 2014-11-21 06:25:48

MountainDewManiac

Jerry3904 wrote:

The problem is the presence of spaces, which prevents the file from being saved.

Off-topic, I suppose, but since you two quickly found the solution, I will go ahead:

I did not realize that some distros choked on space characters in file names. When I read this thread, I thought at first the issue might be with the colon (":") characters, since I had never used those in a filename before. So I created a test file with gedit and tried saving it with the name "test:ab" - it saved fine. So I thought it must really be the spaces, but some bug in the screenshooter app was causing it. I then saved a screenshot to see how it is set up to name them in my distro (thinking it probably named them differently). It turns out that the screenshooter app in Mint XFCE uses both spaces and colons in the names and my file system has no trouble. I think it's Ext4 (but I am not positive).

I never realized that some distros - or, perhaps, file systems - would be unable to handle certain characters that other ones could. I guess I thought it'd be a universal thing. I occasionally email text files that I am working on to others. Is there a list of which distros (file systems?) have issues with common filename characters and what those characters are? It could be helpful; I do not always know what distro - or even OS - a person is using.

Thanks,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#5 2014-11-21 11:46:57

Jerry3904

Interesting. I didn't think of Ext4 as a possible factor, which we use as default.

Board footer