Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-11-21 16:40:08

lnx64

gnome-control-center (sound)

This isn't really an xfce issue so I didn't post it in the main support.

I want to use gnome-control-center for only one applet, the sound applet.  I feel pulse audio volume control is a complete and utter waste of my time.  I have multiple sound cards, multiple outputs, and it's so highly annoying to forget which applications it has remembered to another output device, despite me changing the fallback.  Gnome-control-center's sound applet handles all that in a massively easy to use panel that is just like Mac OS's sound preferences.

Only problem, it's not loading anymore than 3 icons, language, printers, and software and updates.  It will not load sound.  On one computer, this was easy, just modify the .desktop file to the sound applet, and remove the line to only open in gnome.  Problem is, on my other computer, this didn't actually work.

If I double-click the .desktop file as a regular user, it just loads only the gnome-control-center with 3 icons.  If I double-click the .desktop file under thunar loaded with gksu, then it DOES load it just fine, and sound can be controlled as desired.

sudo doesn't do anything, it's just lacking the icons again.  So, only gksu is loading it, but on the other computer that worked just fine, it loads this as a regular user..

I removed the only open with line completely, and I'm confused why it's still giving this problem.  Why does it need to be gksu just to use this utility, when another computer worked fine?

Xubuntu 14.10, on both computers.  Both computers are also up to date.

#2 2014-11-21 17:14:23

sixsixfive
Website

Re: gnome-control-center (sound)

pff pulseaudio, another weird invention from one of the gnome/freedesktop/systemd guys

well, there could be a entry in their desktop files like ShowOnly=GNOME/OnlyShow=GNOME > http://standards.freedesktop.org/deskto … 01s05.html

it's also possible that you need other sevices from gnome like their session manager, dconf or whatever they use now

Anyway my prefered solution would be aptitude --no-install-recommends install oss4-base oss4-dkms oss4-gtk liboss4-salsa-asound2 wink

Last edited by sixsixfive (2014-11-21 17:16:04)

#3 2014-11-21 17:23:44

lnx64

What I meant in my original post was I removed the show only line.  (I said open with, my bad)..  I have the same dependancies as the working computer, so I have no idea why this one is throwing a hissy fit.

I hate pulseaudio, however one of my music software requires it, I just can't get around it sadly.

#4 2014-11-21 18:50:12

lnx64

Oh wait. The session manager. I can check this when I get home. I forgot it has silly things like that.

Board footer