Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-11-21 19:44:15

dcbdbis

[Solved] Changing Hidden Panel Height

Good Afternoon All,

First: Some background (I haven't posted here for a few years)

OSS user since 2004. Recently switched to FreeBSD for business reasons. I was using the MATE desktop, but the port is not of high quality in FreeBSD, and it is plagued by stability issues that I do not have when I use XFCE on my client's PC's under Linux. I do not believe this is a MATE issue, but rather the evidence points to a port quality issue. However, I am older (pushing 60 now), and I do not want to have to remember two desktops schemes.

Yesterday, an update broke my MATE desktop for the last time........and I didn't realize it until I restarted my laptop (after lunch)  just before a presentation to a City Council!....Luckily, I had installed XFCE prior, and have been kicking the tires on XFCE for a while (as a replacement candidate for MATE)...so I was able to switch desktops and move forward with my presentation like nothing had happened.

That was the proverbial last straw for me.

In coming back to XFCE and making XFCE the basis of spec.....I must tell all of you that XFCE has matured like a fine wine, and I am pleased to see the traditional desktop paradigm is alive and well here. I must say I am indeed impressed. Good job devs!  THANK YOU FOR NOT ABANDONING THE BUSINESS USER DESKTOP PARADIGM!

I will be moving my clients from MATE to XFCE. I can't risk my clients doing an update and then loosing their entire desktop under FreeBSD. So I will be moving both my Linux and my FreeBSD clients to XFCE, as stated prior for my own consistency when providing phone support.... I don't want to have to remember two different desktops.

//------------------------------------------On to my two requests-------------------------

I am on XFCE 4.10, FreeBSD 10.1-STABLE, x64.

#1: I modify XFCE to use one panel, on the bottom, and set it to autohide. What I want to do is eliminate the line that appears along the bottom of the screen when the panel is hidden.

Would someone please tell me how to change the hidden panel height? Example: When the panel auto-hides...I don't want that few lines that are still left visible at the bottom on my client's desktops

#2: While I am comfortable modifying theme values to change the color of the window background (#ebebeb) (RGB:235.235.235)....I do not see an application that would allow the users to customize their own theme...They can download themes....but what application do I need to install that would allow modifying an existing theme...IE: One where the user likes everything about their theme except the colors of one or two items?

Is there an application (within or external to XFCE) that provides this functionality?

//----------------------------End Requests

I appreciate any feedback you can provide.

Sincerely and respectfully,

Dave

#2 2014-11-21 20:25:09

sixsixfive
Website

#3 2014-11-21 20:31:28

dcbdbis

Re: [Solved] Changing Hidden Panel Height

Thank You...I appreciate it.

That is exactly what I needed.

Dave

#4 2014-11-21 20:48:36

dcbdbis

Re: [Solved] Changing Hidden Panel Height

Worked perfectly...

Only thing remaining is that the minimum value is 1....So I turned on transparency to handle the last single pixel line. These two together: I have what I need for my clients.

Thank you again.

Dave

Board footer