Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-11-22 00:02:41

inersha

[Solved] Laptop's keyboard keys are returning wrong letters

Summary

I have no idea how this happened, but the keys on the right-hand side of my laptop's keyboard have remampped themselves, mostly to numbers.

For example, typing the top line of letters on the qwerty keyboard now looks like this:

Normal    = qwertyuiop[]
Current    = qwerty456*[]

This is only happening with my laptop keyboard in XFCE. It does not happen in other desktop environments, and my USB keyboard is working normally.

Question

How can I "reset" the laptop's keyboard to the default/correct mapping?

I looked in Settings > Keyboard but couldn't find anything that would fix the problem. I'm also guessing this is more of a hardware thing as it's just the laptop's built-in keyboard that has this problem... not all keyboard inputs in general.

If anyone can point me in the right direction or give me some advice on what's happening I'd be very thankful. The only thing I can think of right now is to re-install XFCE.

Last edited by inersha (2014-11-22 01:06:24)

#2 2014-11-22 00:56:33

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [Solved] Laptop's keyboard keys are returning wrong letters

Most laptops, because they don't have a number pad, map the number keys, mathematical operators and arrow movement keys to regular keys and then have a switch/toggle of some sort to toggle that off an on. On my laptop, I hold down the function key to access those keys (and I can repeat the same output as yours). Perhaps your laptop has a hard toggle that needs to be switched on and off to enable/disable this feature (something like function+numlock). What make/model of laptop do you have?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2014-11-22 01:05:58

inersha

Re: [Solved] Laptop's keyboard keys are returning wrong letters

ToZ wrote:

Most laptops, because they don't have a number pad, map the number keys, mathematical operators and arrow movement keys to regular keys and then have a switch/toggle of some sort to toggle that off an on. On my laptop, I hold down the function key to access those keys (and I can repeat the same output as yours). Perhaps your laptop has a hard toggle that needs to be switched on and off to enable/disable this feature (something like function+numlock). What make/model of laptop do you have?

Thanks, you nailed it.

My laptop is a Thinkpad X220. For anyone else reading; the number pad can be toggled by pressing Fn+ScrLk (which activates the NumLk function)

Apologies for my noobness, but thanks for being able to answer my non-XFCE question so quickly smile

Board footer