Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-12-23 15:53:57

fkervin

Can't increase size of icons related to opened programs

Hi all,

I'm customizing xubuntu 14.04 and i'm using xfce4-panel that comes by default.

If I increase the height of the panel the start button increase its size proportionally but the icons of the applications (at left of the start button) have a maximun of around 40 pixels and no matter how hight I make the panel, the icons remains small. I have set those icons to not to have text (only icon) by disable "Show button labels" but even with this they remain small.

28ajpqu.jpg

I've look at all the configuration options everywhere but I can't find this.

I've found many threads talking about a limit or 32 pixels or so and a way to increase a bit install xfce-taskbar-plugin, but I can't install this since it's not on repositories and after all, 42 pixels is still small for what I need (at least 60-70 pixels).

I really can't believe it can't be done.

Any help?

Many thanks in advance

#2 2014-12-23 16:16:11

sixsixfive
Website

Re: Can't increase size of icons related to opened programs

>I really can't believe it can't be done.

but it's true sad

if you want bigger icons you need another panel eg: tint2, wbar, docky, awn...

#3 2014-12-23 16:32:28

fkervin

Many thanks for your answer, sixsixfive,

My problem is that due to some questions I can't activate compositing so I need a bar that works ok without it.

I also want to use Whisker start menu.

Can you reccomend me someone that meet those two requeriments?

Many thanks in advance and regards

#4 2014-12-23 16:51:20

PaperNick

You can try DockBarX Plugin. I just disabled compositing and it works just fine.

Here's a shot that compares DockBarX and Window Buttons.
http://i.imgur.com/bhQtUrW.png

I'm using it for quite some time and I find it really neat. It doesn't crash and it's highly configurable.
You should give it a shot smile

Last edited by PaperNick (2014-12-23 16:58:51)

#5 2014-12-23 18:37:54

fkervin

PaperNick wrote:

You can try DockBarX Plugin. I just disabled compositing and it works just fine.

Here's a shot that compares DockBarX and Window Buttons.
http://i.imgur.com/bhQtUrW.png

I'm using it for quite some time and I find it really neat. It doesn't crash and it's highly configurable.
You should give it a shot smile

Many thanks for your answer, PaperNick,

I've install DockbarX and could be ok but I find some problems I can't fix:

-Some elements like LAN icon are extremely tiny and I don't know how increase.
-Cardapio start menu looks ok, but in the customization I'm making Whisker fits better, is there possibility of using whisker menu with DockbarX?

I would like to try awn but i'm unable since repositories seems to be fallen, how could I install it? Is is possible run Whisker menu with awn?

Manu thanks

#6 2014-12-23 19:59:07

PaperNick

DockbarX is a plugin that handles opened windows just like Window Buttons which comes by default with Xfce. You shouldn't have any problem using it with Whisker menu (or with any other menu), because they are not related at all - they are different plugins. Just right click on your panel and add DockbarX, that's it. There are two places where you can configure DockbarX - From panel properties and From DockbarX Preferences

Um, LAN icon is not related to DockbarX but I guess it has to do something with your icon theme. Are you using the default one? Post a screenshot.

#7 2014-12-23 22:00:35

fkervin

PaperNick wrote:

DockbarX is a plugin that handles opened windows just like Window Buttons which comes by default with Xfce. You shouldn't have any problem using it with Whisker menu (or with any other menu), because they are not related at all - they are different plugins. Just right click on your panel and add DockbarX, that's it. There are two places where you can configure DockbarX - From panel properties and From DockbarX Preferences

Um, LAN icon is not related to DockbarX but I guess it has to do something with your icon theme. Are you using the default one? Post a screenshot.

Many thanks, PaperNick,

My "problem" was that I had installed complete dockbarX like this:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install dockbarx
sudo apt-get install dockbarx-themes-extra
instalar plugin para panel de xfce de dockbarx
sudo apt-get install xfce4-dockbarx-plugin

As a result, I had a complete panel and when I opened I had a bar appart from the xfce4-panel bar. I tryed to add to xfce4 panel like this and didn't work, althought at last I did something that made it work.

The interesting is that in this way I had a lot of applets appart from the opened applications. I mean, I can configure more elements like a clock and other stuff.

Now I have take a new installation and install dockbarx in the way papernick reccomend me:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:dockbar-main/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends xfce4-dockbarx-plugin
sudo apt-get install zeitgeist dockmanager dockmanager-daemon libdesktop-agnostic-cfg-gconf libdesktop-agnostic-vfs-gio

As a result, now I can easily add dockbarx as you told, as a replace for "Window Buttons", but in the section of applets I have only one category (opened apps) and separator (I don't have those other applets I had before).

My impression is that first time I installed Dockbarx I did as a separate panel including all those extra applets, and now I've installed as a complement for xfce4-panel I have no those extra applets.

Is there a way to having dockbarx as element for xfce4-panel but including those other applets? (I can't find how to install them)

Regards and thanks a lot smile

#8 2014-12-24 07:41:05

PaperNick

I see now, you have also installed "dockbarx". That explains your confusion.

fkervin wrote:

My impression is that first time I installed Dockbarx I did as a separate panel including all those extra applets, and now I've installed as a complement for xfce4-panel I have no those extra applets.

Is there a way to having dockbarx as element for xfce4-panel but including those other applets? (I can't find how to install them)

I don't understand what your problem is here. You cannot add other applets to xfce4-panel? What do you see? Post a screenshot.

Here's how I add applets to the panel

#9 2014-12-31 14:58:54

fkervin

Hi PaperNick

I apologyze for taking so long in answer, I've been quite busy those days.

I Finally realized that when using dockbarX as an applet to xfce4-panel only the element "opened applications" could be used (I installed it completely and configure it, the result is that I could use all the bar's elements in the standalone panel but only "opened applications" when inserting into xfce4-panel).

At last I use this ( "opened applications" buttons) from dockbarx and for the rest of the elements I used the default xfce4-panel ones.

Manu thanks for your help smile

Regards

Last edited by fkervin (2014-12-31 14:59:27)

Board footer