Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-12-28 17:57:10

NuxIT

[Solved] No Taskbar shows up on Desktop after login

I don't know how this happened but after I login to my 14.04 Trusty Tar Destktop it's not displaying the top taskbar or the bottom panel either!

I can't do anything and I have no idea how this happened. I can login via ssh and run commands that way. I was thinking it might of been an update that messed this up? Sometimes when I'm logged in remotely I'll run the updates via>
sudo apt-get updates
sudo apt-get upgrade

This has never caused an issue with the updates and they appear to go through fine. Does anyone know if that's the proper sequence to run these commands?

I'm not sure if the light-gdm caused some issues? I think I remember having to change off light-gdm when I first installed this but not sure?

I noticed I have two gui options in the drop down for Ubuntu Desktop and Xfce. Both of them exhibit the same problem. Before I attempt anything I'd like some suggestions to see if anyone has ran into this. It appeared to crop-up within the last week.
I was thinking of running the following to correct this?

sudo apt-get autoremove xubuntu-desktop xfce
followed by
sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

Thanks for any suggestions!

Last edited by NuxIT (2014-12-28 17:58:21)

Love tweaking on linux. I've been messing around with various distributions since 2001. I enjoyed running YDL (Yellow Dog Linux) on my Playstation 3 until Sony stopped supporting it..
Peace, Love, and Linux
PIII 600 with 512MB RAM (Under Minimum requirements)

#2 2014-12-28 18:08:20

sixsixfive
Website

Re: [Solved] No Taskbar shows up on Desktop after login

what happens if you press "ALT+f2" an enter "xfce4-panel"?

Last edited by sixsixfive (2014-12-28 18:08:31)

#3 2014-12-28 22:52:07

NuxIT

sixsixfive wrote:

what happens if you press "ALT+f2" an enter "xfce4-panel"?

Command is not recognized. When I type in xfce4- a bunch of other options appear but not panel.

I also just tried to login in with the guest account to see if it was just my user account that got messed up but no bueno. Guest does the same thing!

MOD EDIT: Snipped unnecessary comments and visual imagery.

Last edited by ToZ (2014-12-28 23:39:29)

Love tweaking on linux. I've been messing around with various distributions since 2001. I enjoyed running YDL (Yellow Dog Linux) on my Playstation 3 until Sony stopped supporting it..
Peace, Love, and Linux

#4 2014-12-28 23:33:57

NuxIT

Ok, Tony Montana prevailed!! Booyaa!!

Before I attempted to reload xfce desktop I deleted cache session via>
rm -rf ~/.cache/sessions

This didn't solve the issue. So, I booted and hit alt-F2 and then I ran synaptic-exec

I noticed that xubuntu-desktop did not have a check box indicating it was not installed?? Hmm, so I checked it and installed it again and reboot. Back in business.. My iptables are still in tact but I might need to make some more tweaks.

Hope this helps someone else that might run into this. I wasn't in the mood to do another reload.  I have no idea how this happened but I hope it doesn't re-occur.

Thx ssf

Peace, Love, and Linux

#5 2014-12-29 19:43:48

Sideburns
Website

You say that your iptables are "still in tact."  Just out of curiosity, where is "tact," and why are your iptables there?

Registered Linux user #470359
Permanently recovered BOFH
Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.

#6 2014-12-30 03:38:36

NuxIT

Sideburns wrote:

You say that your iptables are "still in tact."  Just out of curiosity, where is "tact," and why are your iptables there?

Hi, I was just referring to all the custom configurations I made using ufw.

Peace, Love, and Linux

Board footer