Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-01-05 16:30:17

jrv

[Solved] Ctrl-Alt-Backspace in Xfce

I am running the most recent Xfce on Debian (jessie).

I ran across a bit of documentation (in VirtualBox) that said that Ctrl-Alt-Backspace resets the X Server. When I tried it, nothing happened. I was very disappointed. My X-Windows-fu is not so good, so I have some questions.

• Is implementation of X Server reset as above a responsibility of the desktop environment, i.e. Xfce? If not, where should I be looking to figure out why it doesn't work?

• If it is (or should be) the responsibility of Xfce, why doesn't it work?

• Is the function mapped to a different key combination?

• Is it something that isn't set up by default, but I could set up if I were so inclined?

Any help that can explain where I have gone wrong would be appreciated.

JR

#2 2015-01-05 17:09:47

sixsixfive
Website

Re: [Solved] Ctrl-Alt-Backspace in Xfce

it now disabled by default, go to >settings>session & startup>autostart and add: "setxkbmap -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp" to make it work again

#3 2015-01-05 19:32:39

jrv

Thanks for the answer. Using clues from it to fuel some research I make the following observations (which may or may not be correct; you've been warned):

• Ctrl-alt-backspace is functionality built into the X Windows and is not really Xfce's responsibility.

• The other options that are available for setxkbmap "-option X" are determined by /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/base.lst

• This page has some of the basic information about configuring keyboards: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ke … on_in_Xorg

• The options configured by setxkbmap in "session & startup" might also be configured by changing the keyboard config file (/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/*.conf) and/or the ~/.xinitrc file.

I had a rather hard time figuring out what options might be available to setxkbmap under the "-option X" parameters. I found a bunch of them, "terminate", "grp", etc, but is there a definitive list?

JR

#4 2015-01-06 00:31:26

sixsixfive
Website

man xkeyboard-config

#5 2015-01-06 13:40:11

jrv

Very nice. thanks.

JR

Board footer