Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-01-08 10:50:01

iaZvpp8

xfce apps site?

i'm using fedora 20 xfce. lookng for apps that work with xfce. is there such a repostitory/site i can browse?

my yum extender isn't working and i'm looking for some log file readers that will work with xfce. i tried a gnome-system-log but that wouldn't run

#2 2015-01-09 14:04:27

ToZ
Administrator

Re: xfce apps site?

iaZvpp8 wrote:

i'm using fedora 20 xfce. lookng for apps that work with xfce. is there such a repostitory/site i can browse?

There is no repository per se, but there are certain apps (git tree) that are developed with the Xfce environment and there is also this wiki page of recommended apps.

my yum extender isn't working and i'm looking for some log file readers that will work with xfce. i tried a gnome-system-log but that wouldn't run

What happens when you try to run it? If you run it in a terminal, what error messages do you get?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2015-01-09 19:09:28

iaZvpp8

ToZ wrote:
iaZvpp8 wrote:

There is no repository per se, but there are certain apps (git tree) that are developed with the Xfce environment and there is also this wiki page of recommended apps.

What happens when you try to run it? If you run it in a terminal, what error messages do you get?

this error is returned:  error: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set in the environment.

yet it is set at:   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/1000

so i thought i would make use of some other log utils, logwatch, or others

thanks for the links

#4 2015-01-09 19:50:56

ToZ
Administrator

iaZvpp8 wrote:

Out of curiosity, how are you running gnome-system-tool? Are you running it from a root terminal, with sudo, or as a regular user?

Does running it like this work?

XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/1000 gnome-system-log

Also, does the fedora package include the "gnome-system-log-pkexec" executable and if so, does running it work?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2015-01-10 21:15:21

Sideburns
Website

This is really a Fedora issue.  Try either ask.fedora at http://ask.fedoraproject.org/questions/ or the Fedora Forum at http://fedorafourm.org because there are lots of people there who can give you the help you need getting yumex up and running again.

Registered Linux user #470359
Permanently recovered BOFH
Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.

#6 2015-01-11 01:28:56

sixsixfive
Website

here are some apps:

0Install:
http://rox.sourceforge.net/desktop/software.html
http://roscidus.com/0mirror/

portablelinux apps:
http://portablelinuxapps.org

Last edited by sixsixfive (2015-01-11 01:46:08)

#7 2015-01-11 11:30:50

iaZvpp8

ToZ wrote:
iaZvpp8 wrote:

Out of curiosity, how are you running gnome-system-tool? Are you running it from a root terminal, with sudo, or as a regular user?

Does running it like this work?

XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/1000 gnome-system-log

Also, does the fedora package include the "gnome-system-log-pkexec" executable and if so, does running it work?

gnome-system-tool isn't installed

but you are right in one respect. i'm accessing this fedora-xfce vm via tigervnc. with that said, i did attempt to execute gnome-system-log as me and as root. hence the XDG_RUNTIME_DIR error.  yep, my error there, thanks for pointing that out.

so i go to the esxi management console and open a terminal for this particular vm and there are a bunch of dialog boxes requesting authentication for the gnome-system-log app. i enter the pw a number of times, i guess the number of times i executed it from the other machine via tigervnc and viola, the gnome log app happily runs.

why, when accessing through tigervnc i'm not able to see a window requesting auth for the app, i don't understand but its working and i basically see why to some degree i couldn't get it to work. i mean it was working i just couldn't see it was popping up windows for authentication.

appreciate the help

Board footer