Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-01-09 17:23:29

Sparky65

Missing Application icon for app installed in /opt folder

Installed a web browser, Palemoon, in /opt/palemoon25.1.0 running Fedora 21 xfce spin.

I can, after modifying the desktop configuration files get the icon to register in the 'Application Finder' but having created a launcher on the task bar I cannot select the correct icon for the new app.

I have managed to use another similar icon, but am at my wits end on where I'm going wrong with this.

Also, having made Palemoon the default browser, I expected the other shortcuts on the desktop to use the new icon instead of the Firefox one, but again no joy...

Can anyone shed light on this strange occurrence please?  smile

Kind Regards

Bob Moore

#2 2015-01-09 20:03:22

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Missing Application icon for app installed in /opt folder

Most likely, the palemoon icons are not in an accessible location for the icon theme. Each icon theme has a default set of locations and filenames that it looks for. See the freedesktop icon naming spec.

According to the Installation instructions ("Other installation methods" section), there are a number of ln commands that need to be run to link icon files into the hicolor icon location. Have you performed those steps?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2015-01-09 20:43:50

sixsixfive
Website

exo can not display symlinks( https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10126 ) so instead of ln use cp

#4 2015-01-11 12:49:44

Sparky65

Thanks for the help, most of the problem was the lack of symbolic links.....

Now working correctly.  smile

help much appreciated

Kind Regards

Bob

Board footer