Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-01-11 22:22:12

dtd

[Solved] Happy New Years and some general thoughts on Xfce 4.10

I think the gedit folks messed up a fine editor with the glitzy new look. The reason I use Xfce is because kde 3.5 --> kde 4 did the same thing. Mousepad-0.3 is pretty good. I use SciTE if I need to figure out tabs vs spaces or need/want to use regular expressions in making changes and mousepad otherwise.

In looking for gedit threads I came across, why does Xfce depend on gnome so much post. The short answer is why revent the wheel but I thought I would try and quantify how much gnome stuff I have on my relatively minimal workstation. I have 520 ports/packages installed. They break down as follows: xorg=237,
xfce=167, gnome=50. Leaving 66 packages for my applications + requirements. Much less than I would have guessed.

My only Xfce issues are its a bit complex to add start menu entries and icons when the application does not install them. I may have more icon issues because of the way 3rd party stuff goes onto FreeBSD.

#2 2015-01-12 01:04:39

Mellowbob

Re: [Solved] Happy New Years and some general thoughts on Xfce 4.10

The problem, as I see it, of having the gnome/gtk dependency is when it comes to things like menus in non-xfce applications. I really don't expect each and every application to be ported to xfce! And I don't see a problem with using applications like evince on a xfce desktop.

But, each time the gnome geniuses decide to dump yet another of there wonderful ideas on us, we need to scramble to get the gnome applications we use to look right on our "retro" system.

But, it's interesting: I use nemo for my file manager, konsole for my terminal and evince for viewing pdfs. All seems to work smile

Don't know of a solution or, really, if there is much of a problem.

#3 2015-01-12 11:39:45

sixsixfive
Website

@libs
well i agree except for one libary: Gstreamer - this is such a useless fat multimedia libary...

Xfce is basically for me: the session manager, the panel + xfwm, thunar

I don't really get the point of Parole its neither an audio or video player, so for music I use most of the time Qmmp or DeadBeef for videos i recently found mpv (such a nice simple but even powerful application).

Mousepad is good but there a probably ~10 editors with the same features

>evince for viewing pdfs

you should try pdf.js with your favorite browser(it saves you another application and is always up to date it also has a titlebar smile

#4 2015-02-03 01:25:55

dtd

Thanks for the thoughts and suggested applications. I am not a C programmer so I paid no attention to Gstreamer. On my system firefox brings it in. My analysis and comparison to KDE was strictly on number of packages and stuff I never use.

Board footer