Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-01-16 16:22:00

minty1

Shortcuts, launchers, menu items... need knowledge.

I'm not quite sure where to post this but I want to understand how all these things work. This is what is confusing me today.

Using Mint Linux 17.1 with XFCE 4.10.

I downloaded kdenlive today from the Software Manager. Afterwards it was nowhere on the menu. So I started investigating. I found the kdenlive.desktop file in /usr/share/applications/kde4. Should this file be located in /usr/share/applications in order to appear on the menu?

I sent this to the desktop. I took a look at the launcher and the execution line is kdenlive %i -caption %c %u. There is no path to the location of this file. The only file I can find on my system named simply kdenlive is in /usr/bin and is identifed as a library.

I use Docky and normally just drag the menu item over to the dock and drop it. Docky will have nothing to do with the desktop launcher.

So can someone help me make sense of all this?

thanks

Last edited by minty1 (2015-01-16 16:32:38)

#2 2015-01-17 01:56:14

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Shortcuts, launchers, menu items... need knowledge.

Not sure I can add much but I installed kdenlive in my Xubuntu 14.04 desktop (holy dependencies Batman!) and the icon appeared in the menu even though its located in /usr/share/applications/kde4. I wonder if this might be a distro issue?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2015-01-17 14:26:40

sixsixfive
Website

minty1 wrote:

Should this file be located in /usr/share/applications in order to appear on the menu?

Everything under applications(including subfolders) will appear on the menues

minty1 wrote:

There is no path to the location of this file.

you don't need to to add paths for applications in your ldconfigs path variable(echo $PATH)

minty1 wrote:

The only file I can find on my system named simply kdenlive is in /usr/bin and is identifed as a library.

libraries are binarys and just like on windows you can execute them, too - also check the mimetype with "file" eg: (file /usr/bin/kdenlive)

minty1 wrote:

Afterwards it was nowhere on the menu

what happens if you run "kbuildsycoca4 --noincremental" - that action is usually trigged by debconf

Are the categories correct? ( http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-s … t/apa.html ):

cat /usr/share/applications/kde4/kdenlive.desktop | grep Categories

#4 2015-01-20 17:31:49

minty1

Thanks for the info.

Something odd to add to this. Kdenlive does not show up under Multimedia in the menu. But if I run the Menu Editor, it's in there...

#5 2015-01-21 01:10:39

sixsixfive
Website

did you run kbuildsycoca? also your categories should include something like: AudioVideo;Video

Board footer