Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-01-31 21:06:30

oyvinds
Website

Make windows half-transparent

It used to be possible to roll the mousewheel on the window border or something to make windows partly transparent. Now I can't figure out how.

I asked on #xfce and they told me to use the "vertical mousewheel". My mouse does not have one and I am not about to buy a new one just to have half-transparent windows.

Is there any other way to do this?

If not, where in the code would one look to assign something like ctrl+mousewheel (the horizontal one which I do have) or something else to do this?

#2 2015-01-31 21:28:36

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Make windows half-transparent

Which distro are you using and which version of Xfce? For me, Alt+"Horizontal Mouse Scroll" affects window transparency (I'm running Xfce from git). Alt+"Vertical Mouse Scroll" zooms.

You could use something like transset-df to map a window transparency function to Ctrl+mousewheel. There is an example on that web page on how to do it.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2015-01-31 21:52:38

MountainDewManiac

Re: Make windows half-transparent

oyvinds wrote:

It used to be possible to roll the mousewheel on the window border or something to make windows partly transparent. Now I can't figure out how.

I ran into that issue when the powers-that-be (XFCE developers) decided to change things in such a way that Alt-{mousewheel} did some kind of weird zooming of the entire screen instead of its previous function. There is a thread on this web-forum that discusses it. I believe at least one solution/workaround was offered (IIRC).

oyvinds wrote:

I asked on #xfce and they told me to use the "vertical mousewheel". My mouse does not have one and I am not about to buy a new one just to have half-transparent windows.

Odd... Every mouse I have ever seen that was new enough to have a scroll-wheel had a "vertical one." IOW, when used to scroll the contents of a window (such as this thread, viewed in Firefox), it causes said contents to scroll vertically. In fact, the only "mouse-like" device I've seen which offered horizontal scrolling was the "mousepad" on a laptop (or whatever the device that takes the place of a mouse on a laptop is actually called - AfaIK, an actual mousepad is the rectangular device that one places a pre-optical mouse on so that the little ball will have traction, lol, but...).

oyvinds wrote:

Is there any other way to do this?

If not, where in the code would one look to assign something like ctrl+mousewheel (the horizontal one which I do have) or something else to do this?

I'm guessing that your mouse is of the standard type, in which case it has a vertical (not horizontal) one. Be that as it may, however, my suggestion would be to do a search for the thread I mentioned above (assuming that you aren't using a laptop, in which case you probably have what you need and just need to enable the horizontal scrolling option).

ToZ wrote:

Which distro are you using and which version of Xfce? For me, Alt+"Horizontal Mouse Scroll" affects window transparency (I'm running Xfce from git). Alt+"Vertical Mouse Scroll" zooms.

Hey, you're right! I'm using a laptop and hadn't bothered to enable horizontal scrolling (in Menu / Settings / Mouse and Touchpad) because most of the documents/etc. I work with do not require the function; but I recalled seeing the setting, so - upon reading your statement - I just enabled it, tried Alt-{horizontal scroll} and it works! I bet I can watch Netflix with a translucent native Firefox above it now. Thanks (yet again), ToZ - your knowledge continues to impress me, lol.

Regards,
MDM

Last edited by MountainDewManiac (2015-01-31 21:54:35)

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

Board footer