Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-20 12:57:33

fkervin

Pipelight refuses to work, in a clean installation it does :(

Hi All,

I want yo access to a legal online streaming video content called "Yomvi". It uses Silverlight 5.0, so to be used on Linux it requires pipelight, an open-source project that allows to use Silverlight (among others) in Linux using wine.

My problem is that in my installation of xubuntu it does not work, It did when I installed pipelight, but since then I have install new software, I guess something in some point has made it fail. Now when I try to use it it gives a message saying "Error in the player, please try later".

I have made a new (fresh) installation of xubuntu and then install pipelight in the way I did:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pipelight/stable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install --install-recommends pipelight-multi
sudo pipelight-plugin --update
sudo pipelight-plugin --enable silverlight5.0

Once firefox starts wine install Silverlight and works ok, even I've try to make:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

And it still works when I do this.

The problem is that I want to make it work in the other installation, it's a problem having to reinstall all programs again, and further this, it does not guarantee at all that it will fail again later.

Question is, why does it fail? and, how to fix?

I've try to remove firefox, uninstall pipelight-multi with "sudo apt-get remove" and "sudo apt-get purge" and removing ppa. Then I've make all the proccess again but it still fails, I don't know how actually remove silverlight and reinstall again, but in this way it doesn't work and a clear sign is that when I open firefox there is no silverlight installation as happends in the fresh install.

I hope someone can lend a hand.

Many thanks in advance and regards

#2 2015-02-25 14:18:39

ungutknut

Re: Pipelight refuses to work, in a clean installation it does :(

I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure this is not a XFCE-related issue. So yo'll most likely find more people willing to help you in a distribution-related forum like askubuntu.com or ubuntuforums.org (if you're on xubuntu for example). Or maybe there's a specific pipelight-forum somewhere?

I've also installed pipelight/silverlight recently btw... on a pretty old installation of Xubuntu 64bit (11.10, upgraded to 12.04, upgraded to 14.04). And it works without problems even after tons of updates.

Maybe the output of

pipelight-plugin --system-check

will help you/us find a clue.

BTW: Does this silverlight-test-site work for you?
http://bubblemark.com/sl3/TestPage.html

Also worth a try: deleting all cookies for firefox.

Board footer