Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-20 19:09:15

muddypuddle

trouble opening an application

new to linux, so please be patient.

i have a new chromebook. i loaded up the linux xfce environment using crouton.

i'm a brewer and would like to use this program - www.beertools.com. i downloaded the .dep version. that went fine, i think. issue is, i can't figure out how to open it. from the application menu i found it in the Education tap. that tab does have a red x inn  a white box next to it, not sure if that indicates something or is a commentary on education. how do i open it?

requirements for running the program are:

BeerTools Pro 2.0 for Linux Software Download requires an x86-based Linux distribution with GTK+ 2.8 (or higher), glibc-2.3 (or higher), CUPS (Common UNIX Printing System), libstdc++.so.6. The download file for BeerTools Pro 2.0 for Linux Software Download is .deb package format.

not sure if this chromebook fulfills those requirements. it is the toshiba chromebook 2.

2nd question is: can i run chrome browser in the linux environment? the netbrowser seems wonky.

thanks for your time

#2 2015-02-25 15:22:27

ungutknut

Re: trouble opening an application

First of all: I think it's more likely to find help on some more specific forum as this shouldn't be an XFCE related problem.

muddypuddle wrote:

i'm a brewer and would like to use this program... the Education tap... a red x inn

Haha... this totally sounds like brewers-language to me ^^ Sorry... now back to topic.

muddypuddle wrote:

not sure if this chromebook fulfills those requirements. it is the toshiba chromebook 2.

At least your hardware is capable of running that program. The requirements listed are just software-packages needed additionally and can usually be installed easily. Problem is that I don't know what operating system you are running on exactly and I also don't have a clue how chrome-os handles software packages or if it has a central software distribution system like all the "normal" linuxes.

muddypuddle wrote:

2nd question is: can i run chrome browser in the linux environment? the netbrowser seems wonky.

Actually the chrome-os should feature the chrome-browser by default. If that's not the case you've probably installed a new operating system over or along Chrome-OS.

How exactly did you install XFCE? If you used some tutorial please share the link with us.

As you managed to install the .deb file, I assume you've installed some debian-based linux distribution like ubuntu. So you could try a few things in a terminal window:

dpkg --list

If the output of this command shows a long list of package names you can check if the requiremens you posted are fulfilled (you can filter with: "dpkg --list | grep blablabla"). If not you can install those packages with:

sudo apt-get install insertnameofpackagehere

This also works if you want to install the chrome browser:

sudo apt-get install chromium-browser

If you have a different distribution installed these commands won't make sense... so please first tell us what's running on your chromebook.

Cheers.

#3 2015-02-25 22:54:58

Sideburns
Website

Re: trouble opening an application

There are two major package-management systems that are used to simplify installing, updating and removing packages: the Debian system (packages end in .deb) and RedHat Package Management (packages end in .rpm) and several lesser ones.  What you have is a .deb file.  If ChromeOS is Debian-based, that's fine; if it's based on RedHat, you either need to use a program such as alien to transform it, or get a RedHat-specific version.  (Using alien doesn't always work because a .deb file doesn't always have everything a .rpm would need.)  My suggestion is to ask at a help forum for Chrome, not only because you need distro-specific help but because installing software isn't a function of your DE.  Good Luck, and I hope you get everything up and running.

Registered Linux user #470359
Permanently recovered BOFH
Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Board footer