Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-20 21:19:00

cusco-travel-services

Keyboard Shortcuts - String Representations for Keys?

Hi Folks,

Testing MX-14.3 with a Live USB on an old Desktop PC with a Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600 which is connected via a USB cable and is using the Spanish - Latin America layout.

I was looking at the Keyboard Shortcuts to see why the Whisker Menu wasn't being opened when using the Windows key.

I noticed that the preconfigured shortcut, for "xfce4-display-settings --minimal", was set to "<Super>p" but using the "Windows + p" key combination did not open the associated dialogue window.

I then determined that the Windows key is represented by the string "Super_L" and was easily associated with the Whisker Menu by using the Keyboard applet.

However, it appears that this key can't be combined with any others.

Looking at Xfce on my Laptop the "<Alt>p" combination is used for activating "xfce4-display-settings --minimal". So, I changed "<Super>p" to "<Alt>p" but the associated dialogue window was still not being opened. I tried the command from the Terminal but it was still not successful. I removed the "--minimal" option et voila the associated dialogue was opened. So, there is a problem of some sort there because the "xfce4-display-settings --minimal" opens a dialogue on my laptop (Manjaro Xfce 0.8.10) albeit has a different interface.

Can anyone point me to a reference for the String Representations for keyboard keys that I have seen in the Settings Editor for Xfconf and the Keyboard applet?

If not, can anyone explain the difference between "<Super>" and "Super_L"?

Do some keyboards have a "Super_R" key?

I've also noticed that the Control keys are sometimes represented by the string "<Primary>" when used in combination with other keys but are represented by the strings "Control_L" and "Control_R" when used alone which seems inconsistent.

Are these issues, I have noted, related to Xfce or MX-14.3 and/or the Keyboard?

Thanks, Michael.

#2 2015-02-21 00:51:11

ozjd
Website

Re: Keyboard Shortcuts - String Representations for Keys?

The Super key is a modifier and not seen as a key so can't be used by itself.

#3 2015-02-21 01:14:31

cusco-travel-services

ozjd wrote:

The Super key is a modifier and not seen as a key so can't be used by itself.

Which Super key are you referring to JD? <Super> or Super_L?

On my MS Comfort Curve 3000 and the other previously noted in my original post, the Windows key (between the left Ctrl and Alt keys) is interpreted as Super_L and it can be used on its own (e.g. opening the Whisker Menu). I have not been able to use this key as a Modifier.

Last edited by cusco-travel-services (2015-02-21 01:14:59)

#4 2015-02-21 01:28:28

ozjd
Website

Sorry misread your post. That isn't the normal situation. Do you have the correct keyboard layout selected? Maybe your distro has remapped the keyboard.

#5 2015-02-21 01:52:02

cusco-travel-services

ozjd wrote:

Sorry misread your post. That isn't the normal situation. Do you have the correct keyboard layout selected? Maybe your distro has remapped the keyboard.

For the PC using the keyboard in the original post the Spanish - Latin America layout is correct.

With my keyboard I am using the English (US) - English (international AltGr dead keys) layout.

Board footer