Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-08 17:06:19

jakeclawson

[Solved] Disable Panel

Hello everyone,

I am using Ubuntu 14.10 XFCE 4.10 (from Ubuntu repos). Is there a way I can enable/disable the (only) XFCE panel that I have on my desktop? I want to emphasize that I don't want to remove the panel completely. I want to disable it when I am working on a specific task and then after I am finished I want re-enable it (with all my settings, etc).

Please enlighten me.

Jake

#2 2015-03-08 18:26:47

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [Solved] Disable Panel

You can set the panel to "Autohide" when not in use. This will shrink it to a small sliver, making it virtually invisible.

The other option is to kill the panel executable (run 'xfce4-panel -q'), work on your task, then re-enable it when you need it (run 'xfce4-panel'). None of your settings will be lost. In fact, you can create a toggle launcher of sorts like:

#!/bin/bash
pgrep xfce4-panel && xfce4-panel -q || xfce4-panel

Basically, this will quit the panel if its running or start it up if its not. Add this to a launcher command and click to use.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2015-03-08 19:15:25

jakeclawson

@ToZ: ty for the quick reply.

I am aware of AutoHide but that is not what I wanted.

The toggle launcher idea and the script was exactly what I needed. I attached the script you provided to a keyboard key. I tested it and it works perfectly. Thanks!

On a side note, will killing the panel like this corrupt something? In the XFCE session or the XFCE settings?

Jake

#4 2015-03-08 21:06:27

ToZ
Administrator

jakeclawson wrote:

On a side note, will killing the panel like this corrupt something? In the XFCE session or the XFCE settings?

It shouldn't. The "-q" performs a graceful exit.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2015-03-09 20:21:25

jakeclawson

ToZ: Thanks for the info - now I won't worry about corrupting my XFCE configs smile You were very quick and helpful. Once again, thank you and I am marking this thread as solved.

Board footer