Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-28 17:03:46

tuxolero

[Solved] 4.12: Custom application menu icon broken

Hi,

When I switched to XFCE some time ago, I created an additional directory in the application menu and choosed a custom icon for it:

/home/tuxolero/images/tux.png

The image size is 32x32 pixels, and it has a transparent background.

Up to the XFCE update to 4.12, it worked. But now,I have only an "error" icon. Interestingly, my custom icon is still shown when I open

Settings -> Main Menu

Distribution is Arch Linux.

Is there something that has just changed and I need to adapt my settings or is it a bug ?

Thanks,
tuxolero

Last edited by tuxolero (2015-03-28 17:10:12)

#2 2015-03-28 19:46:56

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [Solved] 4.12: Custom application menu icon broken

Just tried it now and the only way I could get the icon to show up was to place the icon in my ~/.icons folder and only specify the icon name (no path or extensions). I used menulibre to set the icon - picked it out of the drop-down list). Oddly, menulibre doesn't show the icon in its right pane (though it does show up in the left pane) but it does show up in the menu.

Bug 10709 seems to have fixed the issue in 4.11, but perhaps its re-appeared.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2015-03-28 21:25:25

tuxolero

Just tried placing it in ~/.icons ans specifying

Icon=tux

but unfortunately no success. I also tried to convert it into .xpm, using GIMP. But also no success.

Edit:
I just noticed that another icon that was specified using a full path is also gone. But others (also with a full path) are still there.

Edit 2:
The icons I described as "partially gone" above are launchers, not directories. So this may be something completely else.

Edit 3:
I just edited one of my .desktop files. this made the menu re-read the .directory files too. Now I have my icon back.

Last edited by tuxolero (2015-03-28 21:48:58)

#4 2015-03-28 21:41:36

ToZ
Administrator

Are you using menulibre as the menu editor? If so, fire it up and find that entry. Click on the icon picture in the right pane and select it from the drop-down list by Icon Name.

Edit:
I just noticed that another icon that was specified using a full path is also gone. But others (also with a full path) are still there.

Now that is odd. Are there any similarities or obvious differences between the paths?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2015-03-29 07:44:13

tuxolero

ToZ wrote:

Are you using menulibre as the menu editor? If so, fire it up and find that entry. Click on the icon picture in the right pane and select it from the drop-down list by Icon Name.

No. I used alacarte for editing the menu back in time when I started using XFCE and yesterday for checking the icon
In between, I'm editing my .desktop and .directoy files directly for two reasons:

• I don't like filenames like alacarte-made-xyz.desktop. I prefer names like Route_Converter.desktop or JOSM.desktop

• I'm very much using categories, and I also edited my xfce-applications.menu and changed most include and exclude specifications from lists to categories.

ToZ wrote:

Edit:

Now that is odd. Are there any similarities or obvious differences between the paths?

I did not find any. Only thing I can say is that all of the .desktop files with a full path to the icon were created manually and point to programs I installed manually (without the Diistribution's package manager) under /opt/.
I decided to remove the program with the broken icon completely, because I did not use it for at least one year.

Board footer