Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-07 19:24:56

johnfound
Website

XFCE (on Linux Mint 17) has only grayscale font smoothing

Hi all.

I am not very sure that here is the right place to ask the question, but as long as it is about XFCE desktop, I will try. smile

At first, my version of XFCE is: "Version 4.10, distributed by Xubuntu". The Linux distribution is Linux Mint 17

Playing with my netbook font rendering settings I noticed that all GTK applications renders the text only using grayscale antialiasing, regardless of the actuall settings. All other settings in the Appearance|Font works as intended, except "Sub-pixel order:" (RGBA in the config files) that do nothing at all.

In the same time Qt applications properly render the text with sub-pixel smoothing. The same for the WINE applications.

I checked all possible global and per-user config files and everything seems to be set properly. All these files contains RGBA set to "rgb".

The output of the "xrdb -query" is:

johnfound ~
$xrdb -query
*customization:      -color
Xcursor.theme:      DMZ-White
Xft.autohint:      0
Xft.hinting:      1
Xft.antialias:      1
Xft.hintstyle:      hintslight
Xft.rgba:      rgb
Xft.lcdfilter:      lcddefault
Xcursor.theme_core:      1

One example of the text rendering from the Thunar file manager can be seen on this picture:
file.php?id=22484&mode=view

P.S. I asked on several Linux forums, including Linux Mint one, but everyone (if answer) only suggests to check this or that config file - a work I made already many times.

Last edited by johnfound (2015-05-07 20:37:19)

#2 2015-05-08 15:23:01

johnfound
Website

Re: XFCE (on Linux Mint 17) has only grayscale font smoothing

Installed XFCE 4.12 in hope that the broken part will be fixed... Unfortunately the subpixel antialiasing is still impossible. sad

Board footer