Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-14 15:31:35

baldroega

Cant change wallpaper ( using kiosk mode )

Hi all,

Im using kiosk mode and i setup a wallpaper for the users but when rebooted the wallpaper presented is the default from Linux Mint.
i forced the wallpapper on the file: /etc/xdg/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-desktop.xml

I already copied these config files from other computers but the problem remains, i also deleted the .cache and .config folders inside the user home folder.

Any help is apreciated.

sincerely,
AM

#2 2015-05-14 16:43:23

MountainDewManiac

Re: Cant change wallpaper ( using kiosk mode )

I guess it would fall under the "kludge" designation, but could you find the file (wallpaper) that the OS is insisting on loading, delete it, and then copy the preferred one to that directory - with the name of the file you deleted? You know, it wants blue but you want red, so you remove the blue and place a red there which is called blue? I'd think that the file is loaded - as opposed to a picture/background actually being hard-coded - and that the OS merely loads the file so designated (by name) instead of deep-checking to ensure that it is the correct (as per the OS' terms) one.

Kludge, as I stated... BUT it would seem to avoid the situation of configuring things so that it calls "your file" instead of "default file" and then seeing the modified configuration then get auto-changed back to where it started.

Regards,
MDM

Last edited by MountainDewManiac (2015-05-14 16:44:55)

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#3 2015-05-14 16:50:37

baldroega

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, i already deleted it and change it for other, now it gives me a solid color. I can successfuly change de background but on reboot it goes to solid color.

I already deleted the entire user profile folder and at the same time reinstall xfce4 packages ( disabling the kiosk mode). But still on restart it goes for solid, i also checked the permissions of the files and are readable and writeble by everyone.

is there any log file where i can check this problem? this thing only happened in two of the 5 PC's i setup for a classroom.

If i cannot find an answer i problably will reinstall Mint altogheter but i would like to know what is wrong in this picture.

Sincerely,
AM

#4 2015-05-14 16:54:18

ToZ
Administrator

I've never setup kiosk mode so I can't help with the specifics, but:

baldroega wrote:

i forced the wallpapper on the file: /etc/xdg/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-desktop.xml

Mint may use another xdg location (for example, Xubuntu uses /etc/xdg/xdg-xubuntu). You can check the xdg path by running:

env | grep XDG_CONFIG_DIRS

...to see the path order that the config files are looked for (it will use the first match). If such an environment variable doesn't exist, then it will use the default /etc/xdg.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2015-05-14 16:59:31

baldroega

Hi,

ib@IB-001 ~ $  env | grep XDG_CONFIG_DIRS
XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/etc/xdg/xdg-default:/etc/xdg
ib@IB-001 ~ $

After this reinstall and delete folders, when i changed to the wallpapper that i wanted and saved the session, it stayed there.

so im thinking it was a problem with the default sessions, but what intrigues me is, when i deleted all the user folder, why did the save/clear session not worked

Its working now, im trying to lock it all up.

Board footer