Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-21 17:57:29

bmarsh

Unable to set wallpaper folder

Using the "Desktop Settings",  any folder I choose will not be set once I close the dialog.  This is on 4.12 Ubuntu

I can live with the one folder idea quite easily, and no image list....  but here's an addition twist:

On one installation, the 'default' folder that shows up is  'xfce'  which really is /usr/share/xfce/backgrounds/      I was able to use a symlink in /usr/share/backgrounds/  to point to the folder I REALLY wanted. 

xfce -> /home/screenpic/

Although it's a kludge, it does what I want.

How-some-ever,  I installed 4.12 on another machine and the 'default' folder shows up as 'tmp'  and I can't do a symlink for 'tmp'.

I have dug and dug into all the files and 'grep'd' until my eyes are red, but I cannot find where it is getting these values.  Even made a new 'testuser' to see what config files would be set up, but no clue as to the above defaults.  (the default showed up as 'xfce' on the test user but it still couldn't be changed)

Is anyone else having this problem  and/or know where these 'default'  folder names are kept??

Thanks.

#2 2015-05-21 18:16:53

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Unable to set wallpaper folder

Using the "Desktop Settings",  any folder I choose will not be set once I close the dialog.

After you select the folder that you want, you need to select (click on) a wallpaper for it to save the location.

and/or know where these 'default'  folder names are kept??

The default folder was changed to backgrounds in xfdesktop version 4.12.2, and appears to be hard-coded.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2015-05-21 19:03:35

bmarsh

Re: Unable to set wallpaper folder

<slaps forehead!!>   So simple but  1) it seems contrary to select ONE picture when it is supposed to cycle through all the pics in the folder, and 2) why in heck can't they put a note to select a picture...   ??   There is no indication of that.   

But many thanks!!

Board footer