Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-29 17:24:06

johnywhy

[Solved] Docs correction: clock mouseover

hi

there's incorrect info on this doc page: http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-panel/clock

page says:

Tooltip Format
Changes how the time is displayed when hovering over the clock display.

that's not correct. Tooltip Format does NOT "Change how the time is displayed when hovering".

It determines what info is displayed in the TOOLTIP on hover.

This is important to me, because i WANT to change how the time is displayed when hovering over the clock, and i cannot find any way to do so. The clock becomes unreadable on hover. See pic.

xfce_clock.jpg

this thread mentions something called 'PRELIGHT'. But not sure that's what i need, and if so, not sure whether to edit style in Appearance/Style or Appearance/Icons. And the word PRELIGHT appears in 12 different files in the dir for my style, /usr/share/themes/Mint-X-Teal/. No idea which to edit, or if PRELIGHT is what i'm looking for.

Hover bg and fg colors for panel should be editable in panel prefs. This is too much pain.

wasn't sure where to post this-- could not find a way to comment directly on the doc page. Would be helpful to have link on docs pages to report wrong info.

thx!

Last edited by johnywhy (2015-05-29 17:43:03)

arch xfce x86_64

#2 2015-05-29 18:16:54

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [Solved] Docs correction: clock mouseover

The effect that you are seeing is a GTK effect and is more the function of GTK and the GTK theme that you are using, than it is of Xfce. Since Xfce uses the GTK toolkit, it will use whatever functionality GTK presents. To be honest, the issue/fix here lies with the theme and/or theme developer.

That being said, GTK allows you to "override" theme-based settings to give you more granular control over the widgets. For this specific case, you could use a gtk snippet such as this one:

style "my-clock-widget"                         # create new style for customization
{
    fg[PRELIGHT]      =  "#ff0000"              # set the foreground prelight colour to red

}
widget "*clock*" style "my-clock-widget"        # apply this style to all widgets of type *clock*

...to change the prelight behaviour of this particular widget. This particular snippet will change the text colour to red when you hover your mouse over it. You can place this snippet in your ~/.gtkrc-2.0 file (create it if it doesn't exist) and either log out and back in again for it to take effect, or change the Appearance theme away and back to your current theme.

You can also remove the colour highlighting when hovering your mouse over the clock widget. to do so, have a read through this thread, specifically post #10 that links to the panel-hover-button.png file that you need and post #18 which lists the complete snippet.
- Note1: You'll need to add widget "*clock*" style "mypanel" to the end of that snippet so that it affects the clock widget.
- Note2: all those other widgets listed there will also be affected.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2015-05-30 19:53:27

johnywhy

thx for help.

i put your code into my config file and rebooted, but i don't see any change.

here are the complete contents of my /home/eggman/.gtkrc-2.0

include ".gtkrc-xfce"

style "my-clock-widget"                         # create new style for customization
{
    fg[PRELIGHT]      =  "#ff0000"              # set the foreground prelight colour to red

}
widget "*clock*" style "my-clock-widget"        # apply this style to all widgets of type *clock*

appreciate any suggestions.

thx!

arch xfce x86_64

#4 2015-05-31 02:10:56

ToZ
Administrator

What is the name of the clock plugin that you are using? It could be one of "clock", "datetime", or "orage". You can tell by looking on the Items tab of the Panel properties.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2015-05-31 03:01:11

johnywhy

Solved.

The problem was, i had inserted a custom css/html format in the properties of the clock. That was overriding .gtkrc-2.0.

I removed my custom format from clock properties, and your .gtkrc-2.0 code worked.

Then i put this into .gtkrc-2.0 to get my desired format:

{
    fg[NORMAL]	      =  "#ffffff"

}

thx!

Last edited by johnywhy (2015-05-31 03:05:28)

arch xfce x86_64

Board footer